𝒃𝒐𝒎𝒃 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒎𝒆𝒔𝒔 𝒚𝒐𝒖 𝒎𝒂𝒅𝒆

Chapter Twelve
Elora

Sitting snugly between Sokka and Katara, I couldn't contain the grin plastered on my face as the campfire crackled beside us, casting flickering shadows across our little circle. A storyteller enthralled us with tales of airbenders, his animated gestures adding a layer of excitement to his words.

"So, travelers, the next time you think you hear a strange, large bird talking, take a closer look. It might not be a giant parrot, but a flying man, a member of a secret group of air walkers who laugh at gravity and laugh at those bound to the earth by it!" The storyteller concluded his tale with dramatic flair, prompting a round of applause from our group.

"Aren't airbender stories the greatest?" Aang chimed in, his eyes sparkling with admiration for his ancestors.

"Was it realistic? Is that how it was back then?" Katara queried, her smile directed at Aang.

"We laugh at gravity all the time," I interjected casually, waving off Katara's question as Aang chuckled to himself. "Gravity."

As the storyteller shuffled around, holding out his cap for money, I observed Sokka's pockets being rifled through, a telltale sign that our funds were dwindling. With a sheepish expression, Sokka produced only a bug and a few crumbs from his pocket, eliciting a disapproving huff from the storyteller.

"Cheapskates," the storyteller muttered before stomping away, leaving me shivering as another gust of wind swept by, prompting me to hug myself tightly for warmth. Staring into the flames, I willed their heat to reach me, longing for their comfort.

Suddenly, I felt something heavy draped over my shoulders, and lifting my head, I found an extra blanket placed there. Smiling softly, I glanced at Sokka, gratitude evident in my eyes.

"Thanks," I murmured gratefully.

"I think you need it more than I do," Sokka replied, his words warming my heart more than any blanket ever could. Turning my head away to hide the blush creeping onto my cheeks, I caught sight of Aang bounding back from the storyteller, his infectious energy bringing a renewed sense of warmth to our little gathering.

"The guy said that he saw those people last week. Do you think that some airbenders actually survived?" Aang's voice rang with hope, his eyes shining with anticipation.

"What?! Are you sure?" I exclaimed, my surprise evident as I turned to him, desperately clinging to the possibility.

He nodded solemnly, and a surge of excitement mixed with trepidation washed over me. Please, please let it be true.

"There's only one way to find out," Katara affirmed, her tone resolute.

As Aang's hopefulness filled the air, I couldn't shake the nagging feeling that if this was anything like the Southern Air Temple, it might be better to bypass the whole thing. But despite my reservations, I couldn't deny the exhilaration coursing through me at the prospect of discovering the truth.

✾ ✾ ✾ ✾ ✾ ✾

The night sky was a breathtaking masterpiece, with a gradient stretching from black to navy serving as the backdrop for a luminous full moon. Its glow illuminated the darkness, casting an ethereal glow upon the landscape. Millions of stars sparkled like diamonds, their light dancing across the heavens, each one a tiny pinprick in the vast expanse of space. Occasionally, a twinkle caught my eye, adding to the enchantment of the scene.

As midnight approached, a heavy feeling settled over me, weighing down my eyelids, limbs, head, and heart. Tossing and turning in my sleeping bag, I found no respite, eventually seeking solace on Appa's saddle as my friends slept soundly below.