𝑷𝒓𝒆𝒗𝒊𝒐𝒖𝒔𝒍𝒚 𝒐𝒏 𝒄𝒉𝒂𝒐𝒕𝒊𝒄 𝒊𝒅𝒊𝒐𝒕𝒔

Chapter seven

Elora

As Katara and Sokka discussed their supplies with the village leader, Aang and I attempted to sneak out on Appa behind them. I had hoped to slip away unnoticed, but Aang of course was never gonna let me go off on my own.

Despite our determination to embark on this journey, we both agreed that it was too dangerous for the water tribe siblings to join us.

"Get your big butt off the ground and let's go!" Aang's frustration with Appa was palpable as he tugged on the reins, urging the reluctant sky bison to move. However, Appa remained stubbornly rooted to the spot.

"I think his big butt is trying to tell you something," Sokka quipped as they approached, his humor a thin veil over the concern in his eyes.

"Please don't go, Lora. The world can't afford to lose you and Aang to the Fire Nation... Neither can I," Katara's plea was soft, but its impact was profound. I found it difficult to meet her gaze, the weight of her words settling heavily on my shoulders.

"But I have to talk to Avatar Roku to find out what my vision means! I need to get to the Fire Temple before the sun sets on the solstice. That's today!" I insisted from my perch on Appa's saddle. Aang airbended himself onto Appa's head, preparing to lead us towards the edge of the village, but Katara and Sokka quickly intercepted us.

"We're not letting you go into the Fire Nation," Katara stated firmly, her determination etched on her face.

"At least not without us," Sokka added, his voice resolute as he stood beside his sister. His words made my traitorous heart melt.

When will these wired grieve feelings go away?

"We got your back," Sokka assured me, earning a lick of appreciation from Appa that left him less than thrilled.

"Ew!" Sokka exclaimed, his face scrunching up in disgust as he wiped away the saliva. Despite his aversion, we quickly gathered our supplies, expressing our gratitude to the villagers before taking off for Crescent Island.

I sat at the front of the saddle, clutching the map tightly as I directed Aang on our course to reach Crescent Island. Suddenly, Katara's urgent voice cut through the air.

"Aang, we've got trouble!" she called out, her finger pointing towards the Fire Nation ship rapidly approaching from behind. Dread settled in the pit of my stomach as I realized the danger.

"Yeah! And it's gaining fast!" Sokka chimed in, his tone laced with concern.

"Fireball!"

"I'm on it!" Aang shouted back, skillfully maneuvering Appa to evade the incoming fireball. Though the attack missed its mark, the acrid smell lingered in the air, a stark reminder of the imminent threat.

"We have to get out of Zuko's range before he shoots another hot stinker at us!" Katara warned, pinching her nose in disgust.

"Can't you make Appa go any faster?" Sokka queried, joining me at the front of the saddle.

"Yeah, but there's one problem," Aang replied solemnly, and I turned around, my heart sinking at the sight before us: a formidable blockade of Fire Nation ships, their imposing presence casting a shadow over our escape route.

"If we fly north, we can go around the Fire Nation ships and avoid the blockade! It's the only way," Aang suggested, his voice tinged with urgency. But Sokka shook his head, his expression grave.

"There's not enough time. We have to run it," he declared, his determination unwavering.

"This is exactly why I didn't want you to come! It's too dangerous!" I grumbled, my grip on Appa's saddle tightening with apprehension.