Sophia's Bar Life

Night Wanderer

One

Vivienne was perched on a barstool at the "Starry Sky Bar," sipping a glass of greenish fruit wine. Her fingers tapped the counter in time with the faint music, scanning the bar and its sporadic groups of patrons with a casual air. However, a sharp glint occasionally flashed in her eyes, lending her a certain sternness that set her apart from the carefree crowd around her.

The only one who seemed to notice this was Sophia, the bar's female mixologist. Amidst her rapid mixology for the customers, she occasionally glanced over the crowd at Vivienne. When their eyes met, Vivienne would return the smile, prompting Sophia to divert her attention back to the colorful array of drinks before her.

Vivienne and Sophia were cousins, bearing a striking resemblance in their facial features. Vivienne had recently graduated from the police academy and was now working in the city's criminal investigation department. She had come to visit Sophia after learning about a murder that occurred near the "Starry Sky Bar" the previous night—a woman had died in a nearby alley under suspicious circumstances. Vivienne was worried for Sophia but was met with a somewhat cold reception.

This was understandable. The cousins had grown up apart, with Vivienne living a stable life under the care of her conventional parents, while Sophia, the daughter of the family's black sheep—a woman who had gotten pregnant out of wedlock and run away from home—had led a life of hardship. Sophia had only reconnected with her family years later, revealing a tough and aloof character shaped by her experiences.

Watching Sophia bustling about, Vivienne sighed. In this city, she was Sophia's only blood relative. Five years ago, before Vivienne had moved to the city for her studies, Sophia's mother (Vivienne's aunt) had died in a gas leak accident. Since then, Sophia had dropped out of school, refusing financial aid from relatives, struggling to make a living in the city. It was only when Vivienne had found her that she learned Sophia had been surviving by working in bars. Vivienne couldn't bear to think of what else Sophia might have had to do before becoming a bartender.

To Vivienne, the city's bars were dens of vice, filled with debauchery and moral decay: money for sex, drunken revelries, one-night stands... She loathed the thought of Sophia, proud and solitary as a winter plum blossom, immersing herself in such filth night after night.

Taking a sip of her drink, Vivienne resolved to have a serious talk with Sophia, to persuade her to find a safer job. The city had seen a string of murders, the victims all young women from the fringes of society: escorts, hair salon workers, hostesses. The murders were eerily similar, clearly the work of the same perpetrator, and with another case occurring just last night, Vivienne feared for Sophia's safety.

Finally, Sophia approached, exasperated, "I'm really busy. If you're here about the case, I'm sorry, I didn't know the victim. I don't have time to help you."

Vivienne caught her hand, "Sophie, stop it. Aren't we cousins? Didn't we share the same grandmother? I came to chat, not to talk about cases!" Unable to free herself, Sophia was pulled to a quiet corner of the bar.

Sophia stared at the flickering candle on the table, lost in thought, as Vivienne softly called out, "Sophie?" Without looking up, Sophia responded, "If you're going to talk about changing jobs again, let's not. I don't want to discuss it."

Vivienne spoke gently but firmly, "Sophie, I'm a cop. I know the dangers that lurk in places like this. Look at the company you keep: drug users, prostitutes, thieves, brawlers. Do you really like this environment?"

Sophia met her gaze with a half-smile, "Sounds like we're in the same boat. Don't you deal with these people every day? Drugs, prostitution, theft... You take pride in your work, so why should I be ashamed of mine?"

Vivienne was taken aback, "How can you compare us?"

Sophia turned away, silent. Vivienne, seeking another angle, became more serious, "Sophie, do you realize? Last night's murder is part of a series. Over two years, including last night's victim, Elizabeth, six people have been killed in the same way."

Sophia's eyes widened as Vivienne continued in a whisper, "All six were found in dark alleys, no visible injuries except for a small needle mark on their necks. Autopsies revealed cyanide poisoning—victims were instantly killed by a stealthy injection from behind. It's the work of one individual, clever enough to leave no trace. The department has even set up a special task force."

Sophia paled at the description. Vivienne smiled reassuringly, "Usually, this information isn't public—to avoid panic. But your stubbornness forces me to share, hoping you'll be more cautious. This stays between us, okay?"

When they parted, Vivienne asked for Sophia's Instagram, "I'll be busy with a major case, we might not meet for a while. Let's catch up online."