06:30 am

I finally get into the bus that takes me to my plane, and I look into my phone. My eyes are swollen, and my lips busted. I think people are thinking I must be a psycho, but let them be, I might be one if you ask me. As I turn it on I see on the lock screen a picture. A picture with me and Camilla in the bathroom mirror, right before we went to the concert. The bus stops suddenly, and if I wasn't holding myself I would be on the ground; I turn off my phone, and I get out. The wind is taking all my hair out of my face, and the air wakes me up completely. I look up to the passengers getting on the plane, and as I put a foot down on the stair, my foot slips completely. How the hell did these stairs freeze? I get up on the plane fortunately intact and with a small portion of hope left, and the hostess looks at me worried as I give her my ticket. She waves a welcome and I get in.

I start searching for my seat, 24 E, again placed in the middle. I look at the numbers count down. Seat 28, seat 27, seat 26, seat 25, seat 24.

I look at my seat, and I still completely as I see someone is in my seat. Not the occupied seat was what made me scared, but the person occupying it.

Camilla is in the middle seat.

"I saved the window seat, remember?" I look over and see she switched our seats. I look at her back, and her smile fades, guilt eating her alive by the way she stares down at her feet. She is completely makeupless, eye bags eating most of her eyes with a deep shade of purple.

"Miss, please take your seat, you're blocking the line" I excuse myself and sit next to her. I put my bag at my feet, and turn to her. She doesn't face me right away, but I know she's watching me. She bites her nails, and thinks of what she should tell me next.

"What are you doing here?" I say. She looks at her feet while she looks up, and I feel a small sense of guilt and rage that makes me hold steadily on the arm of my seat.

"I'm going to Italy" I still look at her "with my friend" she didn't say best, that's a good start. "I want to start over, and maybe she can befriend a new person, just if she wants to do so too" I look at her as she takes her nail up to her teeth.

She looks like a mess too, her pupils are dilated and she still smells like alcohol with new clothes. I look towards a seat, and I can't believe my eyes. I wipe my eyes to see if I'm not just hallucinating, but I'm right. There it is. My flight friend. He seems to look at me, but he just looks at me weird while I smile. He is red now, his chubby cheeks showing he's probably perturbed by me, looking back down at his phone. I internally laugh. I take a deep breath as I look outside the window, and I feel a small relief inside.

Never change your initial path, the woman said.

I look at her, her knuckles shining a bright red to them, her cheek seems yellow, almost if someone repeatedly slapped her across the face with the force of an elephant, and her eyes tell me enough to understand she had enough of this too. She is tired, obscured by something, she is letting herself shake, not hiding it with a smug face and a nice tone. She is wrecked, and I just extend my hand over. She looks at it, stopping from biting her nails. She looks at me in the eyes for the first time, and with a small smile on my face I just say:

"Hi, my name's Verena"