P R O L O G U E

The fact that everything has an end scares the shit out of me.

And I mean everything. Smell, taste, emotions, people, life, friends, love, everything is temporary, and you just have to accept it because you have nothing in order to stop time from ticking.

I've been obsessed with death since I was little, and not because I was interested in it, but because the fact I won't be here, in my dumb teenage girl body and doing the same dumb things with the same dumb people terrifies me. Time scares me, and I can't let go of things easily.

It's currently 02:00 A.M. and me and Camilla are sitting on the floor with two glasses of wine, desperately searching for tickets to go to Italy.We need to reach Italy for our last days of our gap year before going to Uni, and for some reason, our Michigan airport doesn't have a plane directly to Italy, and not even the ones near us do. Not on the day we need to have it.

"We are not even going to such an unknown place like, I don't know, Burundi. We are going to goddamn Genova, every single flight is either in France or Rome, and I have no intention of doing ten routes to go to Elba island" she takes another sip of her cheap wine, and I slowly start to say goodbye to our planned vacation. I lay my back on the carpet, and I feel how my eyes start closing by themselves.

Her room looks like It's been designed by Regina George: everything is literally white, beige and pink, and the pink LEDs do add to the decor too. When I come here I really feel ashamed to think I brought her to my house. She literally has a white chihuahua too that hates my guts, lets be for real.

"Let's just call that agency and tell them we are canceling our bookings" I moan out of exasperation, and she flashes me a look like I just slapped her. She shakes her head and points at me with her glass.

"I won't cancel shit, you are going to cancel any other stupid thought like that one, oh my head hurts from your negative energy " She dramatically slaps her forehead with the back of her hand. It definitely doesn't hurt for that. I proceed to take the glass out of her hand and, before she can scream at me, a phone rings. The ID is what gives us a heart attack: 'National Airport of Michigan'.

Camilla takes the phone and answers as fast as light. "Hello?..yes It's me..I understand" she signs her disappointment, rolling her eyes, but something changed her expression "How much would that be?..yes, in total..uh uh..that's great..could you wait two minutes?..okay okay, one minute?..perfect",  she mutes the call, her face shining now. If I saw her like this on the street, I would even say she's sober.

"Hear me out, they made us an offer, and I think It's going to be a complete game changer" I nod. I have the feeling I'm not going to like what she's about to say just by the fact that she likes it too much."They offered us a discount to a flight to London, and then a second route directly to Genova, all by the same agency" I widen my eyes.

"London? We barely can afford to go to one place" she shakes her head.

"But this discount barely touches twenty bucks over the usual price, and think, we can taste London for a day" she then points rapidly to the assistant waiting.

I exhale, but the thought of going to London is making me feel a rush through my body, and I just look at her, probably because I'm too wine-drunk to think, and all I can say is "Whatever". She squeals in excitement, and as she excuses herself for making that poor lady wait so long, she accepts her offer. When the call ends, we lock eyes and start laughing.

Maniacally. Loudly. Very drunkenly.

London baby, we are coming.

~

One month later

"Oh my God I forgot to take–"

"No you didn't, I took them both" We are mid air, and minute by minute Camilla is remembering stuff she allegedly forgot to take, but that, fortunately for her, I didn't, and that really has defined our relationship during the years.

"What would I do without you Ver? I wouldn't be going to Italy with my charger, my wallet or with anything at this point" I smile at her.

"And I wouldn't be going anywhere because I am too embarrassed to book anything if not through text". We share the same airpods, and she is still urging me to let her choose songs, but when I let her, she just listens to a quarter of it and then skips.

"I can't wait to finally use my black dress I bought just for this one night in London" yes, she bought clothes just for this one day. So much for so little time, I still don't understand.

"Did you bring it though?" her face turns instantly white, and I can't hold myself from laughing right next to the ears of the sleeping man next to me. "I took it, chill, and yes, you would be absolutely lost without me". She exhales, and color comes back to her face.

'Ladies and Gentlemen, we are glad to announce that in approximately thirty minutes we are going to reach our destination, London, Uk, please keep your seatbelts on and avoid getting out of your seats. We Thank you for choosing our company and have a safe flight'

After twelve hours of staying mid air, and getting little to no sleep, this announcement is like a call from heaven. I look outside the window from the middle seat, and aside from not seeing almost anything from this point, I can actually start seeing land aside from just clouds. I grew sick of them.

I look at Cami, and I can already feel that anything that's going to happen, It's going to be unplanned and uncalled for, as neither of us know what we'll do with ourselves, and for sure, everything that is going to happen is because it was meant to happen.

The butterflies run again in my stomach, and I eat the last chips I saved from the overly expensive tray on the plane. London has been my dream route since I was little, and now, even If we're staying for just a bunch of hours there, I feel like something is going to scar me. As I think, I hear a static noise coming from my ear. I will take it as a sign.

I close my eyes, and between a dream and another, a hard thud wakes me to reality. If I was really asleep I would've thought we'd crashed, but we landed. The man that was deep sleeping next to me was startled too, and as he woke up, he started clapping. I will miss him. Or maybe not. Definitely not his smell of dried up onions. God no. Just the fact that I pretended to spray myself with perfume is something that I will remember from this flight.

"I'll take the window seat next time" I say, and she laughs. We take our backpacks to the exit, and I almost trip over a kid. Someone should ban kids on planes. Literally.

As we enter and go to get our luggages, we almost have a heart attack as the robotic voice announces they've lost two luggages. We wait, and we wait, looking at the luggages pass. As my spray painted luggage takes the second corner, I feel a warm wave of relief. All I can hope for is that It isn't my seat friend's luggage that's been lost.

We drag these two pains with us down two floors, and as we get in a taxi parked right next to the entrance, we exhale loudly, facing each other smiling.

"Now, Verena, 24 hours are on, we are going to have a countdown until our next flight tomorrow, let's find the cheapest hotel to throw our shit in and let's go for a coffee". I smile. This is definitely going to be interesting. I hate not having expectations.

What could happen in 24 hours?