Chapter 12

Eren, Historia, Dina, Erwin, and Mikasa sit around the table, their expressions a mix of tension and anticipation. Beyond the closed doors, the rest of their comrades wait, their murmurs barely audible in the background.

"Why did you choose only the two of us for this meeting? What's your motive?" Erwin's voice cuts through the silence, his gaze fixed on Eren.

"It's a matter that should stay between us," Eren replies cryptically, his eyes flickering with intensity. "Let's start by delving into the history of Eldia."

Historia leans forward, her voice carrying the weight of centuries past. "Long ago, the Titans' power rested within the Eldian Empire. These powers were harnessed for the greater good—cultivating lands, constructing bridges, and defending against threats. With the Titans, Eldia thrived, but its prosperity drew envy from neighboring nations. Wars were waged in a bid to claim that power for themselves, even at the cost of millions of lives."

"Exactly a century ago," Eren interjects, his tone solemn, "the 145th king of Eldia, Karl Fritz, faced betrayal from within. The Tybur family orchestrated the Great Titan War, relinquishing seven of the nine Titan powers to Marley. Forced to retreat to Paradis Island, Eldia's final bastion, the king used the Founding Titan's might to erect colossal walls, behind which the remaining Eldians sought refuge."

Erwin's eyes widen in realization. "You're suggesting..."

"Yes," Dina confirms, her voice steady. "Within these very walls, countless Titans slumber, remnants of a bygone era. The king transformed Paradis into an isolated realm, issuing a chilling ultimatum to the world: disturb our peace, and face the unleashing of the Wall Titans—the Rumbling."

Erwin's voice lowers to a hushed tone. "So, we're not the last remnants of humanity."

"No, not even close. We represent just a fraction, a mere 10% of the global population," Eren reveals, his expression reflecting a mix of resignation and determination.

"These other nations perceive us as a threat due to the king's warning a century ago," Erwin muses, his mind working through the implications. "But why risk provoking the descendants of the king if it could lead to catastrophic consequences?"

"There are multiple reasons at play here," Historia explains, her voice tinged with a hint of sorrow. "Firstly, they view Paradis as a looming danger, a potential trigger for the release of the Wall Titans. Their objective is to neutralize this perceived threat. Additionally, the allure of reclaiming the Founding Titan drives them. While Marley has clung to global dominance through Titan powers, the world is evolving. Conventional weaponry is advancing rapidly, threatening to surpass Titan abilities. To maintain their supremacy, they must seize control of the Founding Titan."

"And if the king possesses such immense power, why hasn't he eradicated the Titans beyond the walls?" Erwin probes further, seeking clarity amidst the complexities.

Dina's voice enters the conversation, carrying a weight of history. "The king, wounded by betrayal, chose to erase the memories of those within this island, shielding them from the harsh truths of the world. His aim was to preserve a fragile peace. He bound the Founding Titan's abilities with a vow, restricting their use to those of royal blood. However, my husband, Grisha Yeager, broke that vow, unleashing a chain of events."

Erwin turns his attention to Historia, his eyes searching for answers. "So, you are the bearer of the Founding Titan, the Royal Blood?"

"Yes," Historia confirms, her gaze unwavering. "My father sits on the throne, and I've lived in shadows, hidden behind a false identity to safeguard myself from political machinations."

Mikasa's voice carries a mix of hurt and confusion. "But why keep us in the dark all this time? You've been hiding the truth from us for years, haven't you?"