59 - Promise

We've been watching some television from the bed for a while. I'm curled up against Dan and I'm almost dozing off, tired from my first day of work when suddenly Dan's phone goes off. Apparently, like an ancient person, he actually has a ringtone.

I look up annoyed while Dan reaches for his phone on the nightstand. He takes a look at the screen, then looks at me.

'It's my dad,' he tells me. 'They don't usually call at this hour. You don't mind if I take it, do you?'

His dad? I don't know why it never occurred to me that Dan has a dad. Everybody does. And for most people, that's someone who is actually a part of their lives.

'No, of course not.'

He nods and picks up the phone, a slightly worried expression on his face.

'Dad? What's up?'

I can't hear what the other end of the line is saying. But his worried expression soon changes to one of mild exasperation.

'Dad, I showed you this the last time. If you want to record something, you go to the menu- No, that's not right. Tell me what you're seeing right now.'

He looks over at me for a moment and rolls his eyes a little. I smile at him and drop back onto the pillow.

I've just never heard Dan talk about his parents before. And I never bothered to ask him. A slight pit forms in my stomach when I think about that. Everything had been such a chaos ever since I came home and we've built such a strong connection through all that. But sometimes it hits me that I might have skipped the most basic steps in actually getting to know him.

I watch him explain to his father how to program a recording with increasing impatience. I can't help but laugh a little. It seems that he's already explained this a few times before.

I guess his parents must be pretty old. Because mom's only a few years older than him and both of her parents died some years ago. Dad's father died when he was young, but I remember I really liked my grandmother from that side of the family. But Mom cut off all contact when Dad left and I've no idea if she's still alive.

'Yeah, I think you've got it,' Dan says finally. 'Good job, dad. Now go get some sleep, I'll talk to you tomorrow. Bye, dad.'

When he's hung up the phone, he sighs and pulls a face at me.

'I love that man, but anyone above 70 should just not be allowed access to technology.'

'What was the problem?'

'There was no problem. He just likes to record things so he can watch them later, only he forgets how to do it. Every time.'

I laugh and put my head on his shoulder when he lowers himself onto the mattress again.

'Well, sweet of you to tell him how to do it. Do you talk to your parents often?'

'I call them almost every day. When I drive home from work.'

'You do?' I say, surprised. 'So you must have a pretty good relationship with them?'

'I don't see them as often as I like since they live pretty far away, but yeah, we get along well.'

'What are their names? How old are they?'

Dan chuckles and brushes some hair back from my face.

'So many questions.'

'I'm curious. You never talked about them before.'

'Haven't I? Well, my dad's name is Charlie and he's 73. Mom's name is Mary and she's turning 72 next month.'