17 - My fault

'They weren't angry at all. Actually, uncle Bob said it wasn't all my fault. He called my mom a bitch.'

'No way.'

Mel looks at me with wide eyes and I grin back. We've been walking through the park for a while now and I'm just getting her up to speed on my visit to the family yesterday.

'He did! He said she should cut me some slack. I think I'll go visit them more often. It was really good to see them all.'

'That would be nice. It's a shame to never see them just because of your mom.'

'Exactly. I'll just go visit them on my own. Dan can come too if he likes.'

'I'm still shocked you get along with him so well.'

'Yeah, he's you know... he's cool.'

I haven't told her about the weird jolts I keep feeling when he smiles at me. Or winks at me. Or touches me even for the slightest moment. He's just an attractive guy, I can't help it. I surpress it as well as I can.

'Did they like the birdhouse?'

'Yes, we hung it in the-'

'Hey slut!'

We both stop walking in surprise when three girls approach us from the other side and one of them calls out to us. I don't recognize them. Though there is something vaguely familiar about the pretty girl with auburn hair that called out.

I look behind us to see if she might be yelling at someone else but there isn't anybody closeby. When I turn back, they've gotten awfully close.

'I'm talking to you, bitch,' she says, now clearly making eye contact with me.

'Um, can I help you?'

'Can I help you,' she mimicks in an annoying voice. 'You can start by keeping your hands off of my fucking man, you fucking whore.'

I look over at Mel who's as in shock as I am. I have no idea who she is or what she's talking about.

'I think you have the wrong person.'

I grab Mel's hand and try to keep my calm and push past the group. But the girl blocks my way and pushes me back.

'Don't touch me,' I tell her, letting go of Mel again to free my hands. I want to get the hell away from this crazy woman. She looks like she's about to throw fists.

'I know you've been fucking Calvin.'

Her voice breaks a little as she says it. And I connect the dots. She's the girl I saw on Calvin's phone. Fuck.

I raise my arms in defense and take a step back. But then I notice that one of her friends has taken up place behind us. They've got us surrounded.

'I didn't know that he had a girlfriend,' I say quickly. 'As soon as I found out, I told him to stay away.'

'So you did know.'

'No! I didn't know until after we... you know. I saw his phone screen and I got really mad. I never would have slept with him if I had known.'

'Liar!'

She shoves me again, but this time I push back.

'I said don't fucking touch me!'

'Calvin told me what happened. He told me how you showed up at his house and tried to fucking force yourself on him even after he told you he was with me.'

She must have found something. A hair, a piece of clothing, maybe. I was so angry I wouldn't even know if I left anything behind. And when she did, he told her some bullshit story. He's such an asshole.