Chapter 9: Dinner

It wasn't long when I finally got a call from her asking if I have a free time the coming weekend. That's what got me into the spot of checking and rechecking my outfit, only for dinner at a decent restaurant which opened just a couple of months ago. Though, quite popular.

It was packed by the time I got there, mostly couples, out for a breather after a long awful week. I stopped for a moment, taking a deep breath before entering, ready for anything that comes tonight.

"Reservation for Dostoevsky", the waiter looked at me in in awe and a bit of shock, then smiled casually like he discovered some kind of a secret just a minute ago. He ushered me towards a table in the corner, away from most of the diners and went away, his smile going wider and wider.

Alexis was already there, seated with her signature look, this time a white pantsuit but her oxford shoes changed to casual sneakers. She looked well groomed, smiling as I approached and even made an effort to stand and initiate a hug.

"Oh-, uh-, here. I hope you still love white roses?", she gave me the bouquet of flowers.

"Of course, I still do", I confirmed looking at her as she gestured to the menu.

"By the way, are you perhaps acquainted with the waiter who ushered me in?", I asked, looking down at the list of full course meals, unable to decide which one to take or to even make sense of the dishes' unfamiliar names.

"Vince? Yes, yes I am. He's a hard-worker, that boy"

"Really? You're the owner of the establishment?", I joked and looked at her face that lightened by the sound of my laughter.

'I guess, I still do have that effect on her huh?'

My chuckle faded as I cleared my throat, hinting that she looked at me for way more than the prescribed minutes one should look at a person. Though, my heart was dancing at the thought that maybe, her heart really didn't change at all. She looked away and around the room, then sipped on her wine.

"Actually, I am, I own the place"

"What?!", I exclaimed in whisper, amazed by the fact that she really did open a restaurant just like I stubbornly asked her to. She was really opposed by the idea, yet here we are, sitting and dining at her own café.

"That's a shockingly good news", I added. She shrugged and gestured for a waiter.

For once, I went along and asked for her opinion on the food, taking into consideration that she knows the place well enough to recommend something satiable.

"So, you're now a businesswoman? Did you quit your dreamed profession?"

"It's stressful and needs hours of my time. Owning a business wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, I own my time", she smiled and took another sip of her wine. Her eyes staring at me, clearly observing my reactions as she smiled on my own smile.

"Apart from this, I have no significant happenings in my life yet, anyway, how about you? Anything significant, or, anything at all throughout these years?", she inquired curiously, like one of the journalist in my line of work ravaging for some plausible words that might make the headline on the coming morning.

"Nothing much, just school and some traumas that long passed healed", I sighed, not knowing why I spewed such words, especially on our first proper meeting after five years. That would feel like a burden and a very personal thing to say.

"Oh-, that's really a lot of happening", she replied unsure of the right words to use.

There was silence after that as we relished the food that came our way. It was a habit we had, not to talk while we have our mouths full, while casually gazing to each other every now and then, smiling sheepishly.