The Last Week

It's finally my last year at Hogwarts. Unlike four years ago, I'm going to actually graduate this year! Anxious would be putting it lightly.

     As I'm racing to my second to last exam room I bump into somebody."Oh Merlin my apologies, here let me help you up." Looking up I see Hermiones eyes wide with realization. "Jaqueline! I feel like we haven't seen each other in ages. We're both studying so much, but..." her smile falters, "... this is the last week we'll be together. This week and we're done. Just, gone..." I throw myself into her arms, hugging her tightly. "Oh Mione don't say that! We will keep in touch and who knows, maybe we will both work here some day. Sharing a laugh we speed walk to the exam room, arriving just fifteen minutes before the exam officially starts.

     "Ah Ms. Banks, Ms. Granger, early and eager as always" Professor McGonagall winks. "Best of luck to you both on your exams." Thanking her we took our seats. I begin trying to cram in some last minute studying while other 7th years slowly trickle in.

     "... And as always, good luck. With two hours on the clock, you may now begin your exams."

                                  ~

     I finished early with some time left to spare. I ended up asking Professor McGonagall if I may be excused to the Dungeons to help Professor Reid.

     As I walk up to the classroom I take a deep breath, bracing myself for whatever lies beyond its heavy doors. As soon as I walk in I'm met with stacks of finals from various underclassmen. "I see you finished early. Can't say I'm surprised" Professor Reid smirks. I try to stifle a schoolgirl giggle and he side eyes me. "If you could?" He gestures to the stacks of ungraded papers in front of him. I smile softly, "Of course Professor."

     About an hour into silent grading he stops to look up at me. "You know," he starts slowly, "Professor McGonagall and I spoke earlier." I freeze in my spot, fearing the worst. Taking a deep breath I try to compose myself. 'Cleared.' "What's wrong Ms. Banks? You seem, tense" he cocks an eyebrow, smirking at me. Instantly my cheeks heat up. I try to slow my now heightened heart rate. 'Cleared!' I keep reminding myself. "J-just want to make sure I'm not in trouble sir" I gulp. He smiles and chuckles softly. " Oh it's quite the opposite Ms. Banks. Professor McGonagall came to me with the notion that you would make a wonderful professor here. Of course, that would mean you would have to be my teaching assistant first. What do you say, are you up for it?"

     I sit completely stunned in my spot. "Am, am I being offered a job here after graduation?" He leans in close to my ear, lowering his voice and dropping it an octave. "Are. You. Up, for it?" My knees begin to shake in my seat, completely weak. 'Oh fuck he's so close to me... shit! Cleared!' He chuckles deeply and mumbles under his breath barely audible, "Pathetic". I inhale sharply, a small gasp escaping my lips. A new shade of red presents itself on my cheeks. "W-what was that sir?" I whisper meekly, dying to hear that word again.

     He stands up, walking over to a file cabinet and pulling out a piece of parchment from it. Handing it it to me he annunciates that delicious word a little clearer. "I said," he walks right up to my desk, lifting my chin up to look directly into his storm colored eyes, "Pathetic." He flicks his eyes down to the parchment in my hand.

     Ninety nine percent on my Potions final!!! The numbers sprawl across the parchment in his signature green pen. I can't even begin to show my excitement as his hand is still holding my chin, our gazes unbreaking.

     "Couldn't even give me a perfect score hm?" Slowly he makes his way to my side of the table, clearing enjoying my flustered state. "I wonder why that is Ms. Banks." My breathe hitches as I feel his warmth radiating off of him; so close I can smell his enchanting scent. "Perhaps you are," he leans down to me ear earning a small whimper from me, "Distracted."