First Week Back "Home"

I stand there on platform 9 3/4 looking around for a sign of anyone I may know. Out of the corner of my eye I see a small blonde girl in Slytherin robes subtly beckoning me over.

"Hey. I'm Brianna Malfoy, 7th year... kinda." I smile nervously at her, the green robes draping over her small frame, and that haunting last name... 'Malfoy'. She clears her throat and with a shaky hand, holds it out for me to shake. "You look like you would've been a grade below me. Are you coming back to repeat 6th year?" Taking her hand I shake it firmly. "Actually I finished my O.W.Ls early. They're letting me move up into 7th year!" She smiles and nods. Taking in her contrasting demeanor, I cautiously ask, "I'd hate to be rude, but did you say your last name was Malfoy? I thought Draco was an only child." As she answers she begins to walk with me towards the train. "I'm actually his cousin. My parents sent me to Bouxt Baton Academy. With the war and all, wizarding schools shut down for safety. They thought this year it would be best to send me here with Draco because, you know, safety in numbers." She looks right over my head and smiles, "Speak of the Devil, here he comes!"

I turn around to look, I notice a very peculiar head of white hair round the corner towards us. I flinch recalling all of the horrible names he's called me, particularly making fun of my muggle last name. He walks over to us, head down as if to hide from the world. As he gets closer, I avert my eyes from his direction and direct them to the floor in front of me. "Brianna, who have we found here?" He looks deep into my soul as he tries to remember my face. His eyebrows furrow as he thinks aloud, "Jaqueline? Jaqueline Banks is that you?"

I sigh bringing my eyes to meet his. "Hello Draco. How have you um... been?" His eyes flash a sadness cast only by the eyes of the guilty. As soon as it had come, it vanished. "That might've been the nicest reaction anyone has had to me all day." He breathes out a tiny chuckle, then the sadness returns. "Nobody will even look at me..." Feeling courage rise up in me, I out a careful hand on his shoulder, forcing him to look at me. "You are not responsible for your parents actions or decisions. You are only responsible for your own. You didn't choose that life Draco." Before I know it, Draco Malfoy's arms are wrapped around me (a Gryffindor) in public. He swallows a small sob, composing himself, then pulling away. Smoothing his robes he speaks, "Thank you Jaqueline, for the genuine kindest words anyone has ever said to me." I stand there shocked. No insult, no sly comeback, no rude nickname, just a sense of genuine relief from him. It's as if I had just taken a massive weight off of his shoulders. "You can sit with us on the train Draco, right Jaqueline?" Brianna pipes up quietly. "Yeah that's fine" I smile, not realizing I now had a group to ride with.

     I pretty much tried to help everyone in my life and at school, but I never really had a group to call my own. I'm like my own species; an acquired taste if you will. I tend to keep to myself, though I have "class friends", who are the people you hang out with at school but never outside of it. I only ever had one close friend, a Hufflepuff named August. We grew up together and have been friends for 16 years! Sadly he decided not to return this year. His father was killed in the battle, coming back here would be very difficult for him.

     Brianna, Draco and I hope on the the train and wait patiently for it to start chugging along. Watching through the window I scan the crowd for any more familiar faces. I had just spotted a tuft of red hair when a loud knock came at the compartment door.

     "Sorry, sorry I um..." Neville Longbottom looks between the Malfoys and me, hesitating. "C-can I um, maybe sit with you guys?" I smile and scoot over on my single bench, patting the seat next to me. Neville proceeds to scoot in, closing the compartment door behind him. He sat directly across from a stoned faced Draco, silence filling the compartment.

     All that could be heard was the sound of the train for hours until eventually, Brianna broke the silence. "So, I'm Brianna Malfoy, Draco's cousin from Bouxt Baton Academy." She raises her hand once again, to Neville. "And you are?" Neville's eyes shift to me nervously. He thinks for a moment before shaking her hand delicately as if it were going to break off. "Neville Longbottom." A loud gasp can be heard from Brianna, "The Neville Longbottom?" His cheeks flush as he stammers, scratching the back of his neck. She smiles, "you're quite famous Neville Longbottom." He smiles sheepishly, "I-I don't know about that" he stuttered out as she giggled. "Well it's very nice to meet you." Neville's cheeks blush as he mumbles some sort of flustered thank you.

     It was silent again up until the train pulled into Hogwarts, it was then that the train came alive with the buzz of excited and nervous students. Returning and first years. Unlike before, we are all met by Hagrid and told to follow him to the boats as he takes us around the new Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Most everything was just like before with the acception of a few add ons and dorm placements.

     Hagrids booming and jolly voice captures all of our attention. "Welcome back returnin students, and welcome first years, to Hogwarts. It is with great pleasure that I take yew 'round the school t' show off all of the hard work ar community 'as done to build ar school from the ground up. It is to be noted that th' Slytherin dorm'll no longer be-in the dungeons." A loud murmur erupts throughout the students. Some happy, some sad, a few angry, and the rest just plain confused. "M'self, Professor McGonagall, Professor Rogers, and Professor Sprout'll lead ya to yer respective dorms."

     My ears hang on to Hagrid's every word. 'Professor Rogers is head of Slytherin house now too?!' I look over to see if I can catch a glimpse of what they look like. For a moment I can see a man who fairly resembles a middle aged St. Nicholas before Minnie whisks us Gryffindors away. Luckily for us, we get to keep the same dorm, though now all of the dorms are close together to keep better eye on us. 'The security sure when up around here' I think to myself.

     I wake up the next morning in my room. I was so exhausted last night I went to bed before dinner and have no idea who I'm rooming with this year. I look over to see none other than Ginny Weasley and Hermione Granger laughing and catching up as they get ready for breakfast. "Goodmorning Jaqueline" Ginny chirped. I smile giving her a hug. She was in my year with me so we knew each other quite well, I'd even call her a friend. I look sheepishly over to Hermione. She knows I used to have a thing for Ron and therefore avoided me at all costs. Relaxing slightly she smiles, "It's nice to see a familiar face. I'm not sure how it happened but I got stuck in a compartment and boat with mostly first year boys!" Ginny snickered causing Hermione to stomp on her foot slightly. "I think a few 1st years have a crush on you Hermione" I giggle out.

     We all were getting dressed when I noticed a small, timid girl about Ginny and I's age just waking up. "Hey, goodmorning. I'm Jaqueline and this is Ginny and Hermione." I smile at her sitting on the edge of my bed. "Would you like us to wait for you to go down to breakfast?" Yawning and stretching she lazily replies "Are you sure?" We all look at each other and nod in agreement.

     "Whats your name dear?" Ginny asked sweetly. The mousy haired girl hesitated before speaking, "Patricia... Wormwood." Ginny goes right up to her slinging her arm around Patricia's shoulder. "Well how does breakfast sound Patricia Wormwood?" Smiling softly she nods politely.

     The four of us head down to the Great Hall and await McGonagall's welcome speech.

                                 ~

     "Before you all sit, it is to be reminded that there will no longer be house tables as we feel it is unjust to separate you by houses." Murmurs escape the sea of students "But before you all go around jumping to conclusions, the House Cup will still go on as usual." Small cheers flood the room, whooping and hollering for the house cup. "As you settle in, I shall welcome you all to the new and improved Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. As you are all now aware, we have a new head of Slytherin house." Deafening silence echoes throughout the Great Hall.

     "Professor Daniel Reid will be the new head of Slytherin house as well as the new Potions Professor. Furthermore, Mr. Harry Potter, as you may have seen on your schedules, is going to be teaching Defense Against the Dark Arts this year. We have seen his capabilities to teach such a course and have come to the decision to grant him the position." Claps and cheer bellow around us for Harry. 'Even four years later he is still top dog!'
"1st years, you will now be sorted into your houses as we begin the Sorting ceremony."

     One by one the 1st years are sorted into their respective houses, then sat at the new 1st years table for the day.

     The rest of the week winds down, consisting of studying and getting myself prepared for the first week of classes.