Preparing for Classes

I got my class list and schedule by owl this morning as I was sleeping. I lazily wipe the sleep from my eyes and place my glasses on my nose. The schedule read:

   Monday
       • 1st period— Herbology (Sprout)
       • 3rd period— Charms (Flitwick)

   Tuesday
       • 2nd period— Potions (Rogers)
       • 5th period— DADA (Potter)

   Wednesday
       • 6th period— Divination (Trelawny)

   Thursday
       • 3rd period— Transfiguration (McGonagall)

   Friday
       • 8th period— Astronomy (Sinsta)

     'Well, it's a great time to start studying for my N.E.W.Ts' Even though I was only a 6th year, I completed and passed my O.W.Ls early and was moved up to 7th year'

     I take another glance over the parchement in my hand, studying it as my eyes flick over an unfamiliar name in the Potions position. The one name I don't recognize; Rogers. 'They sound like a muggle. How can a muggle take over for the head potions master himself? My half-blood prince deserves better...'

     I storm out of my room and out into the living room of the muggle apartment my mum and I share. Throwing the parchment down in front of her, I huff loudly. "They're having a muggle take over for Snape. No offense mom, but how could they DO that?! What do THEY know about potions?" Mum raised an eyebrow at me, "I know damn well I did not raise you like this Jaqueline BANKS. How's THAT for a muggle last name?" I roll my eyes and sulk next to her into the couch.

     Her eyes soften as she turns to me, putting a gentle hand on my knee. "I know you're upset he's gone love, but you can't take that out on the new professor. Get to know them before you jump to conclusions" I sigh, she was probably right. My anger is usually misdirected; it should be Voldemort I'm mad at. "Fine," I give in, "I'll give them a chance... But I won't like it" She laughs sweetly. "Oh dear, you don't have to like it, you just have to do it." She winks at me causing me to chuckle. I wrap her into a tight hug, "You're very wise sometimes" Her brow raises, feigning offense. "Sometimes??" I snort. "You're lucky you even get that!" I sing as I slip into my room to grab my water bottle.

As I come back out I see her reading over the names of my professors and giggling. "Do you have to do that every year?" Stifling a laugh she clears her throat. "Ahem oh I'm sorry love, it just seems so out of place there... 'Rogers'" She bursts into another small fit of giggles. I sit down, grabbing the parchment back my anger returns. "Exactly! They ARE out of place" I mumble under my breath.

"Anyways mum, let me refresh your memory of my professors. Sprout teaches Herbology she sweet, strict, and hilarious!" I smile thinking back to when Neville passed out in his 2nd year with the mandrakes. "Flitwick is the short one who does music and charms. He was one of my first teachers at Hogwarts. And get this, Harry Potter is teaching Defense Against the Dark Arts!" Mums eyes widen "Harry Potter? Like your friend Harry? The chosen one, killed 'Voldendorf' or whoever Harry Potter?" Rolling my eyes I reply "Yes mother... and his name was Voldemort!" My voice breaks a little remember everyone we've lost; a tear falls from my eye.

Mum picks up on my mood change and quickly brings the conversation back to our original topic. "So... Professor Trelawney huh? Is she the weirdo psychic lady?" Wiping the tear away I chuckle. "Yeah, I've always liked her. She reminded me of Mrs. Mayfare from grade school. Then we have Professor McGonagall," I reach over to a small, framed picture of us together that I keep on my desk, "I'm so glad Minnie is teaching again!" Tilting her head like a confused puppy, mum asks "Who's Minnie?" I look at her in her eyes slightly embarrassed. "That's what we call Professor McGonagall when she's not around. It's known to be disrespectful, but her name is Minerva and her friends call her Minnie." Mum eyes me curiously. "Mhm I see. And who's Professor Sinsta? She sounds sinister. Don't get on her bad side!" I rack my thoughts to find anything to say about her, though I've only met her twice in passing and once start of 6th year for class. "I honestly don't know much about her but I know she means business."

Mum and I continue talking about our work and school lives until it gets dark out. As I started dinner I thought and though about the new professor. 'Will I be able to learn from them like I did Snape? I won't question Minnie's judgement but could they really replace Severus?'

Term starts in about a week; I wonder what other changes may take some getting used to. 'There are so many faces I'll never see again... Cedric, Fred, Colin, Lavendar, and don't even get me started on Snape and Lupin... What will this new year bring?'

I cant tell if I'm more nervous or excited to go back, but I have a week to decide.