With The Dawning Comes The Mourning

They hadn't seen Theodore yet, which meant Teddy could stand there for a moment and decide whether or not to interrupt them. It wasn't their job to listen to the worries on Teddy's mind. But, something gnawed at Theodore's soul, threatening to tear it apart if Teddy kept this to himself.

    For three people that Teddy had only met in September, they truly were quickly becoming some of his closest confidants. Perhaps that was the beauty in this friendship they had made; with them, Theodore was no longer the child that his other friends had watched grow up. He was, by their perception, a young man of whatever making Teddy chose. And while his childhood would forever be important and influence who he was, it did not make him. It was a baseline, a foundation at most, but not the whole picture. 

     Ashton had once again offered for them to spend some time at his house over the weekend and, finally, all four boys were in a position where they could agree. So, after talking to Oscar and Diana and frankly getting absolutely nowhere with either of them, he had driven back to Hawthorne House to pick the other three up and drive them there. 

    He found them around the side of the building, their cases for the night stacked and waiting. Monty and Dansworth were engaged in a makeshift game of football, and Ashton was to the side, trying to cheer them both on despite their competing.

    In a stray kick, Dansworth sent the ball flying in Teddy's direction and, keen on not being hit in the face, Theodore reached up to try and catch it. He did so by grabbing the ball as it hit his chest and looked at his three friends. Monty smirked and pointed at him.

    "Hands on the ball. That's a penalty, Bear."

     Bear. Theodore should have known that it would happen eventually. Montgomery had been Monty from day one, and Danny had followed not long after. Once they had started calling Ashton "Ash," it made sense that Barrow would be shortened as well. He didn't mind it, really. They only used it occasionally, more to save time than for affection. But still, it was nice to belong enough that you had a name of familiarity among the group.

     "But I was playing so well," Theodore joked, and Monty loudly laughed. Dansworth grinned, giving Monty a playful shove and, with Ashton, walking over to their cases.

     "Good thing you're here now," Danny said as he grabbed his and Monty's cases. "You'll save Robert here from a devastating defeat."

    Monty scoffed, adjusting his glasses and holding out his hand to take his case from Dansworth's hand. 

    "As if. We both know that I could beat you with my eyes closed."

    "I don't know, man," Dansworth replied, mimicking kicking the ball, which Theodore still held. "You're not as spritely as you used to be-"

     "Lies-"

     "You're withering away as we speak-"

     "You little shite."

     Theodore and Ashton looked at each other, Ashton shaking his head with an amused smile. The two of them turned and led the way to Theodore's car while Monty and Dansworth followed behind, bickering the entire way.

    Abigail was an idiot. She knew that much.

    She knew that, eventually, Everett and Percy would start outright asking about it. They would want to know why she broke up with Teddy, why she had taken something pure and crushed it into ashes.

    Abi also knew that her answer to them, when she had met with them both, was not what they deserved. She should have been honoured that Percy had come down from Downton to visit. That the boys were taking time out of their schedule to come and see her. They were her boys, after all. Everyone knew that.