Who Can Understand?

November 8, 1926

Dear Lord Ellscliffe,

     I won't be audacious and assume that you remember me, so allow me to briefly reintroduce myself.

     My name is Theodore Barrow. You and I shared the misfortune of an interrupted meal with the Knightons weeks ago now (and I stand by the point that I will take no responsibility for their actions.) If it helps you to recall, I'm currently in medical school, and my girlfriend is attending teacher's college at King's.

     It was a great pleasure to meet you that evening, and following our conversations, I believe you may be a good fit for the request I am about to make. However, I do want to make it clear that you can say no, and there will be no hard feelings from my side. 

     I write this on behalf of a friend. He and a group of thespians are working on writing and producing a musical, now titled Finding Arcadia. I've included a blurb on the plot in this letter in case you're interested, as it sounded like something that may intrigue you. Their issue comes with funding. While they have a plethora of ideas, they lack the money to execute them or rent out a venue to put on their show. If you would be willing, they would surely appreciate any help that you could give them. 

    I appreciate any and all consideration that you give to this. I've included a few ways for you to contact me with any response. As aforementioned, please do not feel obligated to provide any assistance. I can understand that you may have other issues to consider.

     Yours Sincerely,

     Theodore T. Barrow.

November 10, 1926.

Dear Mr. Theodore Barrow,

     I wish I could have responded to your letter with a telephone call, as I find it to be a much better form of communication, but I've found myself to have fallen ill as the weather changes and have quite a sore throat as a result. I'm sure you, as a medical student, can understand my preference for writing at this time.

     I admit, your proposal has rather intrigued me, as has this musical's plot. I never found myself attending the theatre often, but I can appreciate the arts and am not opposed to supporting them. Before I make my decision, would I be able to see these young (I presume they're young, based on their lack of money and their friendship with yourself) performers in action? Perhaps sit in on one of their rehearsals, if that is not too much to ask?

     I hope to assure you that I most certainly remember you. How could I forget the only decent person I met that night? Should you need anything in the future, I hope you are aware that you are welcome to reach out to me. The correspondence would never be unwelcome.

     Sincerely,

     Ellscliffe

November 14, 1926.

     Dear Lord Ellscliffe,

     I've had the opportunity to speak with my friend, and he claims that they would be very pleased to have you at their next rehearsal this Wednesday, the 17th. Rehearsal is set to begin at 6, but he had offered for us to arrive earlier so that he could show us around. I will naturally join in order to properly introduce you to everyone. You can find the address attached to this letter (I do hope that you don't mind it being separate. I have always found it helpful to have it on its own so that it can be easily found and stored separately from the rest of the letter.)