The Raphaelites

The hand prevented Theodore from saying anything, though there were a million questions in his mind. Most importantly, who the hell was it?

     Turning his head to the side, Theodore noted figures by Ashton's bed, including one on the bed who he believed to be Ashton himself. Definitely not him, then.

     The sound of a match being struck was followed by light seeping into the room, allowing Theodore to grasp a slightly, and only slightly, better hold on what was happening. 

     There were three people in the room, aside from himself and Ashton. One at his bed, holding a hand over his mouth, and another doing the same for Ashton. The other had struck the match and now used it to light a candle. Theodore could not see any of their faces on account of the masks each of them wore. Reminiscent of a plague doctor mask, though with a much less prominent beak, each was designed differently, as if each mask-wearer had chosen how it looked. The man over Teddy had an array of black and gold on his face covering, reflecting in the dancing flame of the candle. 

    Theodore attempted to say something, just ask what was happening, but the man simply raised a finger and put it to his lips. His all-black outfit was doing nothing to ease Teddy's concerns. He motioned down to Teddy's slippers, and silently Theodore slid them on. It would be best to cooperate.

    Once he was satisfied that Theodore was going to stay quiet, he motioned to the one who had lit the candle, who walked forward and, with a quick move of his hand, engulfed Theodore's vision in darkness once again. He could feel the fabric of his blindfold being tied at the back of his head, though Theodore didn't dare to speak. Was he being kidnapped? What was this?

    "Wha-" Ashton's voice began to speak, though it was quickly cut off. Based on the sound of discomfort he made afterwards, Teddy could only assume that his mouth had been covered again. In a hushed yet sharp voice, they were spoken to.

     "Stay quiet, both of you. We're not going to hurt you."

     Ah, yes, that was reassuring.

     Someone placed a gentle touch on each of Theodore's arms, and he found himself being guided out of the room, taking tentative steps out of his room. The hands never left Teddy's upper arms as they walked, with slight pressure being placed on the respective arm each time they turned.

    After several flights of stairs, Theodore found himself stepping onto the cobblestone of the outdoor paths on campus. So, they were outside now; at least he knew that. The air smelt fresh, in that way that signified autumn's arrival to the world. Theodore may have found it within himself to enjoy it if it weren't for everything else currently occurring.

     They continued walking, eventually veering away from the cobblestone and setting foot onto the grass. Theodore had attempted to keep track of where they were, but without his vision, it was becoming increasingly hard. He could hear the three boys, each speaking in hushed voices, though they were good at exchanging their words in a tone that Theodore couldn't make out.

     Eventually, they halted, and as the anticipation grew within Theodore's stomach, one voice spoke loud enough for Theodore to understand.

     "Ante mortem nos omnes.

     The creaking of door hinges followed the sentence, if one could even call it that, and Theodore was moved forward once again. After a few more steps, he was turned to face a specific direction, and finally, the hands let go of him. 

     If he listened hard enough, Theodore could make out breathing on either side of him. Other people in his situation? More of the masked men? He could not be sure. He could, however, make out the door opening a few more times.