Command Me To Be Well

tw: vomiting, a lot of talk about death (this is pretty par for the course by now, isn't it?)

     Theodore let the rest of January be what it was. It passed fairly simply. He went to class, took notes, completed assignments, and answered questions. Kennedy continued to prove an ever-tough professor, but Theodore handled it well enough. He was used to constant critique, and he could work with it. 

    Monty was a different story.

    Theodore knew that Monty did whatever he could not to miss class. But some days, he was too exhausted even to leave his dorm room; Theodore knew well enough that Dansworth did not sneak food out of their meal hall for himself. Dansworth was also growing concerningly good at doing so. Some days, all Monty could do was stay in bed until Theodore was done with classes for the day. On those days, Theodore would go back to his room and use his typewriter to type out all of his notes before sliding it under Monty and Dansworth's door. There had been one day where a response had been slid under Teddy's door with a few questions. Theodore wrote the answers down and brought them back to their room.

     They never said anything of it, though Teddy knew that those typed notes, with new notes in the margins and between the lines, were kept with the notes Monty himself took.

     The issue was not in keeping Monty on track; he was doing exceptionally well, all things considered. The issue was Kennedy's emphasis on attendance.

    The last time Monty missed class, Kennedy turned to Theodore.

     "Barrow. You're a hard worker, and I hate to see that be taken advantage of. Would you tell your friend Montgomery that he needs to pull himself together and get to class?"

     Theodore did not tell Monty any such thing. When Monty returned to the next class, Kennedy had gone for him.

     "Montgomery! How nice of you to grace us peasants with your presence!" Monty had froze, turning to the man. "How many classes will you get through this time before you decide that this isn't worth your time?"

      "I'm sorry, sir-"

     "Doctor."

     "I'm sorry, doctor," Monty had replied. "I don't want to miss class."

     Monty was standing with his shoulders squared as he looked at the man. Theodore had to admire it. 

     "And?"

     Monty looked at the man, confused. He glanced at Theodore, but Theodore could not have helped him even if he knew, for Kennedy spoke again.

     "Is this not where you promise that it will not happen again?"

     Monty glanced down and swallowed. He could not promise any such thing. Something in Theodore felt like he owed Monty this one thing. So, trying to ignore his racing heart as he did it, Theodore knocked one of the glass test tubes- an empty one, for he wasn't stupid- off of the desk.

     "Doctor, I am so sorry!" Theodore said as soon as Kennedy's head turned around. "Look at that, I just did that! I can't believe myself!"

    Theodore knelt to start collecting the glass, avoiding eye contact with Monty. Kennedy, with a sigh, walked over to Barrow.

    "Don't worry, Barrow. Mistakes happen. Another student must have left it too close to the edge. Hardly your fault."

    Kennedy grabbed a broom and helped Teddy clean it up as the rest of the class filed in. As the Professor went to dispose of the glass, Monty sat next to Theodore at their lab table.