To Be the Sacrifice

"There was something else odd about those lists," Rhodes said as he and Theodore replaced everything to where they had found it. Teddy tried to listen past the feeling of his heartbeat in his ears.

     "What's that?" Teddy asked, locking the office door behind them.

     "Every year had thirteen new members," Rhodes began, staring at the door. 

     "But we had sixteen," Teddy replied. How could he forget, after having been forced to watch everyone walk up to that altar on the Feast of St. Raphael? 

     "It makes me wonder," Rhodes whispered as they walked. "Who wasn't supposed to be here?"

     The cold November wind whips the scarf that is tied around Theodore's neck, sending its ends around his shoulders and into his face.

     He's a medical student who should be smart enough to know that standing out here in the cold, simply staring out at the campus. That the cold could make him sick, and that sickness could make him dead.

     Will I be dead soon anyway?

    Rhodes had claimed that there would not be a point in his sacrifice anymore, not now that Rhodes was gone. But those extra three people seemed to push the thought to the front of his mind. They still would have extra if Theodore were to die. 

     He ached to tell people. Tell his dad and get his opinion. Tell Abi everything and see if she could ease his concerns. But, Teddy did not know what these Raphaelites were capable of. And blood and death were certainly within their methods. 

     He had not given any of his new knowledge to Ashton, Dansworth, or Montgomery. He doubted that Rhodes had shared the information with anyone either. 

    "Well, you look troubled."

     Theodore turned, eyes meeting those of nursing student Molly Jones.

     "You're not supposed to be on this side of campus."

     "Now, Theodore. I thought you were smart. Have I ever listened to you saying that before?"

     "The nurses won't be pleased with you."

     "And who will tell them?" Molly replied. "Certainly not you."

    Theodore hummed, looking forward again. She did have a point. 

     "What are you doing out here?" Molly asked. "It's freezing."

     "I could ask you the same."

     They were quiet for some time, Teddy simply staring out at the world before him. He had not asked Molly to be there, and he felt no need to entertain whatever she was trying to do.

     "I take it that your troubles are not ones you are willing to share," Molly finally said. "I'll leave you to your thoughts."

    Teddy just nodded.

    "But Theodore. Do yourself a favour and think inside."

     Dr. Rothschild placed the envelope in front of Theodore before they started class that Tuesday. The seal was red, embossed with the St. Raphael's emblem. Theodore used the back of his pen to rip it open, pulling out the message, written on official school paper. 

Mr. Theodore Barrow,

     It is my understanding that your classes are finished today after 1 p.m. If able, please come to my office in Lane Hall sometime this afternoon to see me. It appears that we have much to discuss.