Chapter Twenty

HENRY

Thank fuck I woke up first...because I had my arms around her again. God, I hadn't woken up like this with a woman ever. It was terrifying how easily my body responded to her affection. Did asleep me know something awake me didn't?

I gently removed my arms and headed for the bathroom. I splashed cold water on my face and checked the wall clock.

Six a.m.  

God, my body never adjusted to time zones. I dried my face with the heated towel and headed towards the door. I paused just before the exit when I noticed my skin in the bathroom mirror. I walked towards it, only to realise I wasn't wearing a shirt...or pants.

It was just me, my boxers, and my erect dick...yeah thanks for the betrayal there.

"What the fuck," I muttered to myself. I walked back into the bedroom, hoping to find one of my T-shirts within easy reach.

"Ah," Sydney screamed as she covered her eyes.

I held my hand over my boxers as I screamed in the same tone.

"Why do you have no clothes on?" she asked.

I laughed. "I could ask you the same thing." She looked down at her bra, which was barely covering her breasts. I turned to look out the window, respectfully, as she adjusted it.

"What happened last night?" she asked. "We didn't...did we?"

I shook my head. "No. We didn't." Although I wasn't sure if we had. I specifically remember going to sleep with my shirt and shorts on.

"What happened then?" she asked, slightly worried.

I looked around the room as I tried to rewind my memory. Then I noticed all the windows open so far they were on the verge of snapping off.

I clicked my fingers. "The heat." Halfway through the night, we both tried to cool down because the temperature was unbearably hot inside. We tried everything. Opening the windows. Putting a damp towel on our feet. But in the end, we were too tired so we just stripped down and went back to sleep. I had no idea why my body gravitated to cuddle her in the night, considering that wasn't going to help the heat situation.

Sydney widened her eyes. "Oh yeah." She let out a sigh of relief, which I was slightly offended by. "Okay. We need to talk to the others about getting a fan or something for tonight."

I nodded. "Yeah." I looked around the room again. "It's uh, six in the morning. I don't think the others will be up for a while."

Sydney folded her arms. "Yeah, Francesca said she wanted to have a sleep-in till one."

I laughed. "Well, there's a ferry down the road that departs at seven. It goes to a small island that has an awesome walk."

"How do you know all this?" Sydney laughed.

"I was stuck reading the tourist pamphlets yesterday while the others cooked dinner."

She laughed again. "Okay, well give me twenty and I'll be ready."

I smiled, feeling slightly relieved that she'd agreed to do something with me. I didn't know why it would bother me if she said no, but I was ready to explore this country with her. "I bet twenty will turn into thirty," I teased.

She poked out her tongue as she clenched the duvet that was covering her chest. "Now you've made me want to get ready in fifteen."

I ungracefully stepped to the side to let her walk into the bathroom. Her oversized shirt, which she'd attempted to put on, was inside out and tucked up, revealing her bare legs and polka-dot underwear.