Chapter Eight

SYDNEY 

I clapped my hands together as I stared back at twenty, sweat-covered and red-faced ladies. They had all done amazing during my thirty-minute HIIT session, and not once did someone complain. That was a new record.

I'd been back at work for a week now. It was nice, getting back into teaching. The environment at the studio always brought out a good side of me. Something about the adrenaline rush and post-workout high made me addicted to the job.

It also helped that member registrations had been up by ten per cent this month, and our profits were growing steadily.

Everything was truly going my way. Except I still couldn't shake the feeling that I was a little lost.

I guess my trip to Melbourne was...different and therefore, it was riveting. I enjoyed being around the team and dare I say it, pretending to date Henry. It was all new, and it was something I'd needed to do for a long time—the trying new things part, not necessarily agreeing to date one of the hottest guys in Formula One.

Now that I was back home, my usual routines were back. While there was nothing wrong with it, the contentment almost frightened me. That little taste of excitement that I'd felt across the Tasman Sea had really opened my eyes to what could have been.

"Ah," I sighed as Lucie handed me a warm towel. I wiped my face, feeling the soft fabric absorb all of my stress from earlier. "I don't think I can thank you enough for steadying the ship while I was away, Luce."

Lucie smiled. "You could by giving me a raise."

I scrunched my eyebrows. "If we hit those profit targets you know you're getting a good bonus."

Lucie nodded while she tucked a strand of red hair behind her ear. "I won't let you down." I was grateful that Lucie was such a hard worker. I initially figured hiring someone ten years older than me would make things difficult. I mean, she had more knowledge, skills, and flair than me. But Lucie never once doubted my abilities. She was the opposite of condescending. We'd only been in full operation for a year, but Lucie had ensured everything ran smoothly right from our grand opening to today. I'd even asked if she wanted to be my business partner, but she said she was happy being the manager of the studio for the time being.

"So are you going to tell me about Henry yet?" she asked as we sat behind the reception desk.

I vigorously typed in the computer password, keeping my vision forward.

"Oh come on, Syd. It's been a week, and you haven't said a word." Lucie stopped fiddling with the computer mouse. "You have to give me something." She lowered her voice. "Is he at least good?"

I choked on air. "Lucie!"

"I am so sorry. Ignore me." She began rearranging the staplers and sticky pads on our desk. "I'm just too nosey, and I need to mind my own business."

"No, it's not that. I just...I don't want it to seem like I've moved on from Jeremy too fast." I began rolling some large towels to put on the front desk.

Lucie shook her head. "Of course not. You're free to do what you want. Plus, you've won the heart of the hottest Formula One driver. I mean, everyone gushes over him because let's be real, he's the most beautiful man to walk this earth."

I blushed; I mean she wasn't wrong. He was definitely easy on the eyes.

"See, you're even blushing right now. Oh my God, my girl is in love," Lucie screamed.

"Shush," I laughed. "It most definitely is not that." It was as platonic as a handshake.

"So are you going to the next race?"