Chapter Three

SYDNEY

"Shit," I mumbled as I stared at the thirty steps in front of me. In truth, it wasn't that difficult, but I was in an odd mood, and so I felt like being dramatic.

I thanked my Uber driver before returning my gaze to my brother's house. I had completely forgotten about the severe climb I'd have to make to reach his front door.

I dragged my suitcase along the paved tiles before stepping onto the first metal stair. I sighed, pushing my suitcase handle down and yanking it up to my chest.

"You can do this Sydney," I muttered to myself. "You're a fitness instructor for crying out loud." I made it halfway before I had to put my bag on the landing and take a breath.

"Did you arrive an hour ago?" Theo chuckled as he stood at the top of the staircase.

I nodded as I stared up at my brother. "Yeah, I'm currently pacing three steps every fifteen minutes."

Theo stood there with his arms folded as he watched me drag my rugged suitcase to the top. Trust my brother to not help me—or maybe he knew I wouldn't let him. I eventually reached the top, pulling my brother in for a tight hug.

"Hey big bro," I said, grinning.

Theo gave me a squeeze before fist-bumping my shoulder. "It's about time you visited."

"I'm sorry it's taken so long," I sighed, looking at the gorgeous view of my brother's mansion. It was a modern concept, with two large lounges, three bedrooms on the second floor and a lazy river encompassing the whole periphery. It put my small bungalow to shame.

"Come on, we'll use the lift to get this suitcase to your room," Theo laughed. Yes, his beautiful house had a lift too.

Theo opened the door to the spare bedroom and suddenly, I realised I needed a new bucket list. One that involved wanting a spare bedroom the size of my current house. Light white curtains laced the whole room, while a fireplace sat on the right. In the middle, a super king—yes, a super king—bed sat with a thousand pillows stacked like a showroom piece. Two lavish bedside tables accompanied either side, stacked with books and candles that would fill a library. I didn't think my brother was so...posh.

The rest of the room was empty, but for some reason, it didn't feel void. Theo, or his interior designer, had crafted such a lovely house, that everything seemed to fit perfectly.

I unpacked my suitcase, before heading out to the large kitchen with gorgeous marble benches and high, white cabinets.

"D'you want a beer?" Theo asked as he started cracking open an icy cold APA.

I shook my head. "Not a beer, but anything else that's cold, please. It's so hot here."

Theo checked his watch. "Yeah. The watch is telling me it's thirty-five degrees right now."

I slapped my palm against my forehead. "Wow, we don't even get above twenty-five at home."

Theo shook his head. "That's why you have to move here." He paused for a second. "I mean, you could now."

I sighed. I knew what he meant by his comment. Jeremy was so settled in Auckland that we were never going to be able to move. Now that I was single...I had the choice. At least I kind of had a choice. But I couldn't abandon the studio. Not when my childhood dream was coming true.

"You're not in prison anymore," Theo continued.

"T, come on," I sighed. I knew Theo didn't like Jeremy much, but it hadn't been that long since we'd ended things. I at least thought the jokes would be spared for now.