Chapter Twenty-Two

SYDNEY

I wandered back into the party, slightly hazy from the thoughts that had just run through my mind.

"Everything okay?" Theo asked as he rushed to my side. Fuck, if anyone was to sense my unease, it would be my brother.

"Of course," I nodded, but he didn't buy it. It didn't help that my eyes were still puffy from my emotional spiel earlier. I knew it didn't look good. Henry walks out mad; I follow with red eyes.

Theo looked over at Henry, who was talking to Lily. His eyes narrowed as his frown deepened. I couldn't tell if his angered face was because he was protective of me or jealous of Lily talking to another man.

"Are you enjoying the holiday?" I asked.

He nodded. "Of course. I just wish I wasn't the one-fifth wheeling."

I sighed. "At least you're not the only one-fifth wheeling." I tilted my head in the direction of Lily. Theo's gaze shifted back to her, and he sighed. I felt bad for my brother. He was a kind person, and he deserved to find love. It was a shame that love wasn't with Lily as she was an amazing person too.

"I had a good chat with her this evening," I said, to distract him from asking me any further questions about Henry. It was selfish, to wind him up about his ex, but I needed to get him off my back. "We got ready together," I continued.

He raised an eyebrow. "Is that her dress? I thought it looked familiar." He ran his hands down his palm and steadied his posture. He was silent after that.

"I'm just gonna head to the bathroom," I said to excuse myself from the awkward situation I had created. I didn't acknowledge my brother before walking down the stairs and into my room. I had never been in there when it was silent. Henry and I would usually talk until we drifted off to sleep. The tall ceiling with ornate designs made it all very eerie when it was just me.

I checked my phone after I'd used the bathroom. I figured a quick scroll on social media would provide a good distraction from the events of the evening. Several bland videos struggled to keep my attention for more than five seconds. That was until a longer video appeared on my feed. It was uploaded back in February, but its poor quality couldn't hide the stars of the video. Henry and the woman, who was by his side when we first met, were kissing against a wall in a club. It all looked very passionate. Hot. It made me sweat, and I hated the reason why.

I'd never been irritated by his past affairs. I had no right to be. He could do what he wanted. He wasn't even mine to have. But watching him cup the face of that woman and press his lips onto hers made me queasy. Something in my chest heated as I kept my eyes on the screen. It wasn't appropriate of me to keep watching. I knew that. But I couldn't look away.

He ruffled with her hair and pressed his pelvis against her stomach. There was no doubt he was hard against her. Fuck, I wanted to be in her position. I wanted him against me.

I turned off my phone once it had ended, trying to push away thoughts of what they would've done after. There was no way you would passionately kiss like that and then say goodbye. I splashed my face with water, removing the sweat that had appeared on my forehead in the past two minutes. I adjusted my hair, and readjusted my clothes, before heading back down the hall. I could do this...I could remain cool. Hell, I'd been acting cool for a long time now.

I slowly walked past the small study that was also on our level, the floorboards creaked as my body weight shifted onto each section. I had almost reached the staircase when I heard the faint sound of a deep, rich voice.

I gently stepped back, hovering my ear near the crack of the door to listen in.

"I don't understand what you want me to say," Henry said.