Chapter Thirty-Two

SYDNEY 

Memories of last night disrupted my sleep, but for the first time in my entire life, I was happy to be woken up. I thought about the way he touched me. How we were passionate, as if we couldn't get enough of each other and just needed more. It had been rough sex, there was no doubt about that. But I had never felt so safe in one's arms.

I felt Henry stirring next to me, his arm still under my neck. I turned around and kissed him on the cheek. He opened one eye and smiled.

"Hey," he said softly.

"Hey," I whispered.

It was a racing day, and Henry had a real shot of winning this evening with his pole start. I just hoped he didn't have bad luck on his side.

I watched as he gently lifted his body so that he was leaning against the headboard. He opened his arms for me, and I nestled into his side.

"How are you feeling?" he asked.

I let out a deep sigh. "Like I'm on cloud nine." I omitted the part where I was feeling emotional because I'd just had sex with the one man I couldn't have.

"Me too," he whispered. I felt his chest rise and fall under my cheek.

"Well that's one rule broken," I joked. I also didn't want to admit that I had broken another rule that we'd created at the start of this agreement. The truth was embarrassing.

Henry gently chuckled. "Now that it's broken, I guess we don't have to stop."

I looked up at him, my cheeks already stinging from my blushed expression. "Oh yeah?"

"Yeah."

"And what is it that we're not stopping?" I asked playfully.

Henry gently lifted my body onto the mattress before placing his weight on top of mine. He lowered his mouth and kissed me, hard. I could already feel his erection pressing against my stomach as he grinded his body against mine.

"Fuck," I said, but it came out as a moan.

"That's it, ma chérie."

***

I stood in the Santoro VIP area as I watched the cars complete their formation laps. It was hot in Singapore. Boiling even. I had already removed my sweater, and I was afraid I was going to need to strip down even further to withstand this temperature.

I looked down at the De Rossi garage and waved to Lily. Francesca also caught sight of me as she stood by the pitlane in the Astro Racing zone.

"You're looking like a movie star," she called out.

I blew a kiss back her way. I knew I'd forever be grateful for the friendships I'd developed with both of these ladies.

Before I knew it, the cars were lined up on the grid, and the red lights were appearing. It was silent around me. It always was at this point. Everyone held their breaths, freezing their bodies like a statue in a museum. This was the calm before the storm.

The screaming roar of engines filled the silence as the five lights disappeared, the crowd erupting into cheers as a trail of dust was the only thing left behind.

Henry had a great start, holding his position around the first turn. Everyone beside me cheered as he and Theo continued to dominate the competition.

The cars continued to fly by as the laps completed increased and the time until the checked flag decreased. I watched as Henry gracefully defended his position while Matthias fought for the win. It was crazy; Matthias was en route to winning the entire championship by the US Grand Prix, yet he was hungry for the first-place position now.