Chapter Eleven

SYDNEY 

The smell of exhaust fumes filled the air as I stood on the balcony above the pitlane.

This was my first time in Monaco, but God, if I was actually dating Henry, I could see myself moving here. The weather. The vibes. Everything about it was so exhilarating.

I was in the VIP section once again, this time joined by Francesca as she had the weekend off from Astro Racing.

"Thanks for joining me here, I was getting kind of lonely at these Santoro events," I sighed.

Francesca nodded. "Of course. I know how isolating it can be when you're new here." 

I smiled. I had been following the team for a month now, but I still felt a little left out. I mean, everyone had their jobs to do around the circuit...but I was just a spectator. I almost felt useless. 

"How does it feel having all the spotlight on you?" Francesca giggled. "I mean, people follow the lives of Formula One WAGS vigorously. It's lowkey terrifying at times."

I sighed. I hadn't read any articles or opened any messages since going public with my "relationship". It wasn't my vibe to analyse what people had to say, and quite frankly, it wasn't good for my mental health. I enjoyed posting Henry to keep up this act, but that was as far as my activity on social media extended.

"Oh, it's terrifying alright," I said after a minute. "But hey, at least we're happy." 

Francesca smiled. "And I bet you're so happy to know your man is starting at the front of the grid today." 

I nodded as I leaned over the railing and looked down at the team. Henry hadn't been in the top three for qualifying or a race since this season had begun, and I had to feel for him. He clearly wanted it to work with Santoro, but for some reason, he was struggling. Not this weekend, however. This weekend, everything had gone his way. He'd aced his way to the top with an amazing qualifying time yesterday, and now he was set to start at the front of his home race. No one could get in his way.

"I'm over the moon that he's happy," I said, smiling. And boy was Henry happy. After his result yesterday, he was in a mood that made even my happiest mood jealous. I watched from above as he ran out of his car and hugged his team near the pit garage. It truly looked like he was going to go up from here. His fear had turned into hope.

I snapped out of my thoughts as the revving sounds of engines disrupted the silence in the pitlane. Henry pulled out from beneath us and entered the lane swiftly.

"There he goes," I said softly before Matthias appeared in view.

Francesca grabbed my hand and squeezed it. "God, I am so nervous."

I laughed. I didn't think my feelings were as worrying as Francesca's. I mean, Henry and I were only adjusting to being friends. But for some reason, her words made me notice the strange tingling sensation in my stomach. I guess it was normal to feel nervous...even if your relationship was platonic.

"Ah, the formation lap is starting," Francesca squealed. I squinted my eyes to try and get a better view of the grid, but I had no idea where she was looking. I settled with watching the cars on the screen behind me. That way, I was able to watch the pit stops below but see everything else in real-time.

I watched as the camera panned to Henry, the yellow and blue car sliding around to warm up the tyres. Within a few seconds, we were watching the middle of the grid. Everyone copied the same manoeuvre, following closely while trying not to do anything stupid.

Only thirty seconds had passed before I heard the groans of the crowd in the distance. I had no idea what was going on, mainly due to my obstructed view of the entire circuit. It wasn't until the camera cut to a car that I realised someone had gone straight into an escape road.