Chapter 50 - Bottles

We make it into the next chamber not long after the last. Suddenly black flames surround is blocking bot our way forward and backwards, in the centre of the room there is a table with seven bottles. We carefully make our way over to the centre of the room, this chamber seems much more serious than the others.

"Hermione there's something written on the parchment why don't you read it out," I suggest trying to help but also avoid reading out loud.
"Danger lies before you, while safety lies behind, Two of us will help you, whichever you would find, One among us seven will let you move ahead, Another will transport the drinker back instead, Two among our number hold only nettle wine, Three of us are killers, waiting hidden in line. Choose, unless you wish to stay here for evermore, To help you in your choice, we give you these clues four: First, however slyly the poison tries to hide You will always find some on nettle wine's left side; Second, different are those who stand at either end, But if you would move onwards neither is your friend; Third, as you see clearly, all are different size, Neither dwarf nor giant holds death in their insides; Fourth, the second left and the second on the right Are twins once you taste them, though different at first sight." Hermione reads out.

We take another look at the bottles, I notice that they are all different colours and shapes, from left to white they are white, red, blue, yellow, green, black and purple. The blue and black ones stand out as they are obviously mush smaller and much lager than the others respectively.

"This is brilliant," Hermione says enthusiastically.
"Why?" Says Harry shocked.
"Because this puzzle relies entirely on common sense and intelligence, it forces and witch or wizard who undertakes it to actually use their brain rather than do magic," she explains.
"And it's not even that hard," I add.
"How?" Harry says.
"Well we know straight off the bat that neither the blue one or the black one is the poison," I say.
"Because clubs three tells us the poison isn't in the biggest or smallest bottle which are the blue and black ones," Hermione cuts in.
"If you look at the second part of the fourth clue, it mentions twins," I say, "the nettle wine is the only example of a twins because there are two of those, then you follow the first part of the clue to work out their placements, which is the second left and second right which are the red and black bottles."
"Then because of the first clue we can work out that the white one and green one are two of the poisons," Hermione says, "poison is found on the left hand side of the nettle wine and the green and white bottles are on the left hand side of the black and red bottles respectively."
"Clue two tells us that the bottles on either end are different so because we know the white is poison we know that the purple one cant be," I say, enjoying how me and Hermione are tag teaming the riddle.
"Which leave the yellow one to be poison," Hermione says, " we have two bottles of poison leaving the third and we have eliminated all but one of the others."
"And finally," I says getting excited, "as clue two says if you want to move on the ends are not your friends that means the purple can't be the one that lets you move forward and so it must be the one that transports you back as that's the only other option at this point which leaves one bottle and one option meaning the blue one lets you go through the flames."

Hermione and I high five pleased we solved the riddle, Harry looks at us dumbfounded and Hermione and I laugh.

"What are we going to do?" Harry asks.
"What do you mean?" I ask him.
"There's three of us and two potions to take," he says.
"Hermione should take the purple one and go for help Ron's been on his own long enough," I say, "and you should take the potions to go through the flames, you're the one that needs to carry on Harry."
"But what about you?" Hermione asks.
"I don't yet, but I'll find a way, worse comes to worse I'll wait for the potions to regenerate," I say.
"How do you know they will regenerate?" They both ask.
"Well someone beat us in here and so they must have done the puzzle too and all these bottles are full so they must have regenerated between them leaving and us getting in here," I explain.
"Okay fine," Hermione says.

They both pick up their respective bottles and Hermione gives me a hug before she drinks hers, when she swallows she is gone in a blink of an eye. Harry looks nervous to drink his however.

"Harry don't worry I'm sure you've got the right bottle," I tell him.
"I don't want you here alone," he says.
"I'll be right behind you," I tell him.

It convinces him to drink the potion and go throw the flames, he waves goodbye before disappearing out of sight.