8 | pt. 2 : i heard a rumor

The doors to a Irish pub were pushed open. Inside, it was dimly illuminated by natural sunlight that flowed through the slits of the curtains which covered large windows at the front of the building.

Walking in behind Klaus, Y/n's senses were filled by the scent of musty aged beer and the sound of soft instrumental music. She could practically see the thousands of dust particles.

There were many wooden tables and chairs crowded into the area, yet only a small portion was inhabited. A few were elderly men, appearing lonely and downbeat.

However, among them was another man — a familiar one with a dark green overcoat.

"Hey," she gestured towards the miserable man a metre ahead of her, "Klaus, you were right."

The addict gave a grin as he, Five, Y/n and Diego approached the occupied table.

"Trying a little hair of the dog, are we? Hm?" Klaus asked a dispirited Luther who sat behind it.

He clutched his cup, dragging it against the wooden surface to bring it closer. "Leave me alone," Luther uttered.

Diego invited himself next to the disinterested man, taking a seat in a squeaky chair. "Give us a minute," he told the three that lingered around the circular table.

"Okay, come on," Klaus obliged, leaning away as they ambled to the side of the room, "Maybe they'll brood each other to death."

The girl crossed her arms with an annoyed huff, sitting down on a vacant seat.

Five and Klaus leant against the old furniture. Though, the boy adjusted himself momentarily to place an arm around Y/n, sneering at a guy who looked at her for a second too long.

"Look, Dad was wrong to lie to you. To all of us."

"Look," Luther interjected in frustration, "I did my time. Alright? Four years up there, watching and waiting because he said the world needed me." He paused, holding the drink up in front of him.

He continued his rant. "..Nothing but soy paste and processed air because I was naïve enough to believe that dads don't lie to their kids. But guess what? The joke's on me."

Luther brought the alcohol to his lips, taking a sip as Diego lightly tapped his fingers against the table, glancing at the three who were silently observing.

The large man put his cup down roughly. "I'm done. With him. With you. With this family," he spoke with distaste, receiving a side-eye from Diego, "You wanna save the world, you go right ahead.."

Luther kept blabbing on and Klaus turned his head to Y/n and Five, tapping his wrist with a finger to signal they were running out of time. The girl nodded in agreement and stood up.

"So, what?" she abruptly called out to Luther, "You're just done?"

The interruption caused the two men at the table to stop conversing to focus on the girl. Luther rolled his eyes at her in response, taking another large swig of his beer.

Y/n sighed audibly, frustration evident as she prepared to leave the dingy pub. "Forget it, Luther. Allison needs our help and we can't run our hours trying to convince you."

He flashed her a quizzical expression, concern in his narrowed gaze. "Allison? What're you talkin' about?"

Diego glanced back at him to explain. "Well, we got ahold of Harold Jenkins' police file. Turns out Vanya's boyfriend is a convicted murderer. Who would've saw that one coming? A little hard to trust anyone who wears corduroy.."

Luther's demeanor shifted, his focus sharpening as he absorbed in the information. "Wait, so.. Where's Allison now?" he inquired, furrowing his brows.

"She decided to go after Harold Jenkins.. Alone." Diego answered vaguely to attract the attention of Luther, which seemed to work.