The Lake Of Seven Cities

Meir

Jen and I sat quietly on the warm white sand as we watched the large orange sun loom over the pink sea, just barely touching the waves. What a day we had!

At the beginning it started with disaster and ended in serenity. It was the nature of life and horror mixed in a twenty-four-hour timespan.

I could see in Jen's large blue-green eyes the internal torment of deciding whether to leave her own life behind, just to live here in the unknown. I too have been thinking a great deal about it. It was like we both were living in between two worlds.

Ever since Rina had offered us a new start, here, in the middle of the Atlantic, I have been deeply considering it. Vancouver will always be my home; it was the home of my parents: Jodi and Saline. Of my adoptive parents and little brother.

Come to think of it, I sadly do not remember much of my biological father, but I vividly remember my mother!

Her wavy light brown hair blowing in the gentle sea breeze as she tied it back with strands of green seaweed. She always explained that seaweed was great for our hair and had me use seaweed for cosmetic purposes and to eat. Her blue-green eyes would cast their lovely vibrant color into my stormy blue-grey eyes, saying that my eyes had reflected the mood of the North Pacific. I was her wild ocean child.

I snapped out of my reveries of a bygone era as Jen rises and slowly walks over to the basalt rocks as she glances back at me, smiling.

"Care to show me what you found?"

I smile and immediately rise. We walked over to the black basalt rocks as I refused to touch them ever again, for they made me feel funny inside, afterwards. Jen touches the large rock and studies it for a moment. I am watching her hands, but unlike mine, I see nothing happening to hers.

She studies the rock but shakes her head, not seeing what I had said I saw.

"I am sorry Meir, but I do not see anything out of the ordinary, about this rock." She notices Keira standing on the beach, watching us. She abandons me, walking over to speak with her. I stood there beside the rock as I was puzzled! I was absolutely certain that I had seen something as I relinquished my previous words and went back to studying the rock, looking for my evidence.

Rina walks over as I shake my head, confused and second-guessing myself.

"I think I am losing my edge." I comment as I interrogate the basalt rock as she too looks at the black lava rock and then back at me.

"I do not believe that you have, Méir." she says as I glance up at her, smiling.

"Thanks for the kind words, Rina." I stood there for a moment, pondering "There has to be something that I am missing, here. I am certain of what I saw!" I ran my fingers across the rock, and once again, felt that odd vibration ringing now even harder under my fingertips.

In response, my hand cramped up as I swiftly pulled away as the skin seemed to glow, but this time, the light wasn't fading away like it did before. It was somehow absorbing into my body, flowing though me and into the crystal around my neck.

"AughhhOwww!" feeling the cramping sensation spread through my arms and into my chest as if I was having a heart attack!

"Let me see!" Rina says as she looks at the energy flowing in my veins as she looks concerned. "That is...unexpected!" she comments as I look at the light spread under my flesh.

"It might be a toxin from some type of jellyfish." the pain erupts once more, causing me to hiss under my breath, in agony "Geez! That hurts something fierce!"