Atlantis In The Azores

(Meir)

I read the text as my soul freezes!

Stories were coming online about the tsunami that had just devastated Panama. Looking out the windows, we were sopped in a thick cloud bank as rain pelts the glass. The plane rocked hard as the air was turbulent with frustration. But soon, we broke through the storm and approached the coastline as Jen called out for me to come and see.

"Meir!" she cries out as I snap out of my day-dreaming and walk over to the cockpit as we soar through the clouds. The skyline then opened as new grey and black clouds lazily risen in the horizon.

Black clouds rising from the ground as the city of Panama was on fire! The tsunami had arrived, and multiple waves continued to rip the city apart.

About ten miles into the mainland, there were massive ships resting against the hillsides where the wave had lost its power...the canal was completely gone, ripped apart by the power of the tsunami.

I was glued to my phone as it was my only connection to the outside world. Everything that I knew was all in shambles!

The tsunami had impacted the west coast of the United States with a surge well over 150 feet tall!

Vancouver Island, my home, was hit by a wave of about 100 feet, destroying the city of Victoria. I had a terrible feeling that the home of my parents and adoptive parents was probably in ruins.

I sat down and buried my head in my arms as I got cell service and called Lori and Jason back in Tofino, but they were not picking up. They never go anywhere without their cellphone, and they too were not answering.

I did not want to think about it, but it was a very good possibility that my beloved family was dead! Again...I was alone in this terrible world.

Luckily for Jen and Kiera, their homes were on the other side of the world, and they were not as affected as I was. Kiera glanced at Jen as she had wanted to comfort me, but Kiera shook her head.

"Let him be...he needs time to remember who he once was." She looks back at the blue-green calm waters of the Gulf of Mexico as they have about two more hours before they reach their destination in the middle of the North Atlantic.

Survivors guilt is a pain that is hard to explain; like a toxin that slowly makes you sick until it wears you down and you wish that you too had died. I laid myself down to sleep in the back of the plane where the engine roared, hoping that it would drown out my thoughts.

Jen looks out across the Gulf and then back at Keira, asking.

"Where are we going, exactly?" she asked as we were to spend about a week in Pascua and once our time was through, we were to head home. No reports or data needed to be submitted to the employer...just be onsite to conduct odd experiments that she was doing for 24 hours before all hell broke loose.

"San Miguel." Kiera says as Jen and I have no clue where San Miguel was.

"Can you just drop me off near Elafonissos..." Jen asked, she would like to go home and bury herself in her room of seclusion.

Surviving the collapse of an island was almost too much for her, especially considering that she had personally blamed herself for Easter Island's bad luck.

Between Elafonissos and Neapoli was an odd ruin of a sunken world. A whole city that was cast into the Elafonisou Sea. Her family once told her that the ruins were once part of a major empire that once had ruled the Earth. But when the empire had become far too greedy, the city and its satellites, just like the Neapoli ruins, were swallowed by the ocean and its people were lost to time.