The Fall Of Isla de Pascua

2020

(Meir)

(Meir)

Those were the last written words that my mom had ever left me...words that have seem to have faded away in meaning. They must have meant something to her, but I just did not know what they meant anymore.

I find myself fiddling with the crystalline necklace that seems to have been permanently wrapped around my neck ever since I was a young child. I could never remove it even if I wished it to be gone...it was made of a metal that just would not break! And the sparking crystal hanging from the chain was a lovely iridescent moonstone.

On the gold fastener that hooked the crystal to the necklace, an odd symbol of three solid semi-circles with three hollow semi-circles connected to a pillar that ended in three spears. Like an enclosed deformed menorah, this is the ancient symbol of my mother's homeland...far under the Atlantic Ocean.

Twenty-one long years have passed on slowly on by, and every evening of every single year, I have eagerly waited for her to return to back me as she had promised so long ago. But in the end, she never resurfaced, she never came back.

My connection to her and her phantasmal stories were now as thin as a single strand of hair, dubious in belief. Like the belief in the tooth fairy or Santa Claus...they all eventually fade with age. Then, on my 34th birthday, I finally abandoned all hope and turned my back to the ocean. I was a human just like my father, and only a human I shall ever be!

About two weeks ago, just before my 34th birthday, I then received a strange phone call from a lady who had somehow found my contact information and had offered me a job that seemed like 'easy-money'.

Full expenses paid and fifty thousand upon completion of the trial...however, it was an odd job that I did not feel quite qualified to do. I was contacted because of my background as a field geologist; but I wasn't being hired to do anything 'geologically-related'.

They were testing to see if the global transmutations that had come from a terrorist attack somewhere in Australia, were brought on by increased work induced stress. In simple terms, they wanted to run tests on us.

I did not really want the job to be honest! I just wanted to forget it all as if it was just a bad dream! Since that day, I have sworn to stay out of the dangerous ocean that had taken the lives of my parents.

That whole twenty-four hours of losing my two feet for slimy fish-like flippers was the second worst day in my entire life! It took both of my adoptive parents just to help me cope with that nightmare that they had said Atlantis had unleased upon the world as a warning! And I preferred to act as if it had never truly happened.

I did not want to believe in anything attached to Atlantis! Because it had only brought back the painful memories of my mom and dad.

___