Chapter 20

"You're pregnant, Kiitana. Why do you want to travel across the world now..."

"I'm pregnant, not disabled. An why wouldn't I travel when I've lived across the world all my life. It's home, Hassan. My family needs me." I sat on his bed looking right at him.

"I understand, but now you're making it sound like this isn't your home." He folded his arms. "We're making our family here as well."

"I do live here and yes, our family is in the making but there's no point in talking about this. All you need to know is that I'm returning to see and spend some quality time with my family for our birthdays. I always spend my birthdays with my parents. An mommy's friend is a OB/GYN so I can speak with both doctors so Doctor Washington can be aware of mine and our baby's progress."

He held the bridge of his nose and had his eyes closed.

"My living arrangements can be settled easily. I can stay with my parents or with the Malcoms, or I can rent a place anywhere. I know you're always working so when I'm gone you can continue to do just that. It's a win-win situation." I explained and he waited before answering.

"My family will be here next month and I need to introduce you to them." He said.

We stated at each other and it seems he's in hopes for something.

"You want me to cancel my trip to meet your family?" I realized.

"I hope."

"Mister Thorne. My father's birthday is next month. My elder sister's is right after that, then there is mine and my mom in the same month. I'm meeting my family too. I want to bond with them. I missed home and only God knows when I'll see them again because I have to be cooped up in this house feeling like..."

"My birthday is next month." He revealed and I laughed.

"Well, I'll call and tell you happy birthday because I'm not staying here." I got up ready to walk out.

"Kiitana, do I need to keep reminding you not to walk away from me!" He yelled, stopping me by the tone he used.

I turned to him. "I'm walking away from you?"

"Weren't you?" He gestured to the distance I've walked between his bed to the door.

"I'm done!" I yelled with my hands up. "I've been with you since your determination got us together. I ran from my family to find refuge with you thinking all the security will be eased. Your obsession with me has became a fear in my life. I'm with my parents and you can't give me some privacy! I'm with daddy and you had your guards fly drones to keep an eye on me! I'm with mommy and you had my picture taken at all times. I'm with you here in Europe but do I know where I am? Am I not allowed to tell my parents anything without you bugging my calls and knowing my every move?"

He said nothing but his crazed look surfaces.

"I really hoped that I've gotten away from you in Italy. You call back the plane and had me sunk deeper in your life more than I would have ever imagined. I went through the pain of living up to your status, trying to fit in with the women or to be looking like I belong at your side. I'm not a social person but I spoke to thousands of people every day at those events and have meaningless conversations. I've seen so many fake smiles and laughter that developed it in such short time but it's tiring. All for you!"

He still kept quiet.

"I'm not your hostage, Hassan. I won't be your obsession and you can't mold me into something that will make me feel pressured. You might not be a plumber but if the water pressure is too high it can create flooding. I'm fucking pregnant and if I can't be free then we won't have a family! We won't be at peace because you'll have to deal with an hormonal woman that stresses the chance of us even having a child together. I need to see my family. I need to visit my country. I need to have privacy and I need to get away from you to breathe." I cried.