Chapter 12: Brambles

"You idiot! You scared me!" Jasmine unzipped her tent a smidge and stuck her head out.

"What's up?" She asked, remaining hidden inside her tent – she was wearing a white tank top with no bra on underneath and thermal pants, and didn't want anybody (especially not Levi) to see her in that state. Levi reached out and unzipped the tent flap deftly, before stepping in with no invitation.

"What the hell are you doing?" Jasmine hissed in surprise. The tent was cramped and the two were forced into close proximity. Levi rubbed his temples.

"You have to let me stay. Even if it's just for ten minutes. Baldy is driving me insane."

"Connie." Jasmine corrected, laughing.

"He won't shut up. You put him next to me on purpose didn't you?" Levi glared. A faint smirk played on Jasmine's lips, giving her away.

"You brat." Levi noticed Jasmine's attire and his mouth went dry as he realised her nipples were slightly erect. He could see the faint outline of her dark areolas through her thin tank top and he did his best to look anywhere but at her. Jasmine crossed her arms in an attempt to cover her ample chest, but her action only served to draw further attention to her large breasts.

"What are you reading?" Levi asked quickly, picking up the book that lay by Jasmine's pillow, glad for the distraction.

"Nothing!" Jasmine yelped, trying in vain to grab the book. Levi grew more curious at her panic. He thumbed through to a random page and he blushed as his eyes darted across the page. He let out a loud laugh.

"I can't believe you read smut!"

"I read anything and everything. Besides, it's not smut."

"His hardened member entered her shivering canal? Oh honey, that's smut." He broke out into a fit of laughter as he read the words aloud.

"Shut up, short-ass. Hange lent it to me." She grumbled as she rolled her eyes, kicking him playfully. She'd liked the way he'd called her "honey" - the word rolled off his tongue smoothly. She shivered – Levi had let in the cool air when he'd come in.

"You're cold." He pointed out.

"So?" She clapped-back, still embarrassed and feisty.

"So put on a jumper." Jasmine bit her lip.

"Let me guess, you forgot to bring one?" He raised an eyebrow. Jasmine could be a little forgetful sometimes. He peeled off his jumper and handed it to her. Jasmine's eyes fell to admire the contours of Levi's toned body. His abs and biceps were perfectly crafted and she realised she was gawking – it was his turn to feel self-conscious.

"I have a spare back in my tent. I should get back anyway." He muttered, trying to sound nonchalant.

"You better not get any drool on it, Devi!" He threatened as he stepped back out of her tent. As he walked back he heard a few titters from a bunch of younger females who giggled as they noticed the topless Captain.

"Go to bed. You have an early start tomorrow." He barked.

Jasmine sat in her tent, clutching Levi's jumper. She breathed in the scent of the fabric before putting it on, loving the fact that it had been on Levi's body just moments before. Ugh – why did he have such a hold on her?

**********

THE NEXT DAY

The scouts awoke early, before the crack of dawn, ready to begin their mission. There had been two titans spotted overnight – a three metre and a five metre – both had been fast asleep, but would no doubt be active soon now that the sun was rising. The air was full of nervous energy as everybody donned their ODM gear. Levi would be leaving the operation with Jasmine as his second in charge. Hange had other business to attend to with some veteran scouts, though they didn't offer up much more detail than that to the rookies.