Chapter 11: Greenhorns & Emerald Capes

"Steak thief." Hange muttered under their breath, their eyes narrowing, as they spotted a familiar face amongst the rookies that stood before them. Jasmine shot them a quizzical look before turning her attention back to Erwin. His booming voice filled the hall as he gave his official welcome speech to the newest Survey Corps troops. He reminded them of their duty and the harsh reality of their chance of survival. Jasmine scanned the room eyeing the fresh faces. It bothered her that they were merely teenagers, but that was what things had come to.

Nanaba ran through the squad assignments for the new scouts – Squad Hange, Squad Miche or Squad Ness. Levi's Special Ops squad stood off to the side. The S.O.S. was strictly reserved for elite soldiers – the best of the best - and so no newbies would be assigned to him. Jasmine watched as the newcomers nervously shuffled up to their leaders and turned as she felt a presence near her.

"You could've been up there." The Commander's deep voice was matter of fact.

"No, thank you." She let out a nervous laugh. Ever since she'd made Captain, Erwin had tried to convince her to take on a position as a Squad Lead, but Jasmine had vehemently refused each time. She knew she didn't have it in her to make decisions that could cost the lives of those under her responsibility.

"You should think about it." Erwin's eyes never left the rookies. He had always thought Jasmine would do well in a leadership role – she had the tenacity for it, but more importantly she had a good heart. Erwin knew he could be ruthless – it was why he chose to surround himself with people who made up for his lack of compassion. He wasn't a bad man by any means, but he had a job to do, and he was prepared to make sacrifices to push forward.

**********

It was still early as the scouts made their way to the stables to get their horses ready for the training mission – all squad leads as well as a few veteran scouts would be joining the recruits on their first official mission as scouts. Ness had been tasked with inducting the newbies into the stables and getting them familiar with the processes. Meanwhile, the senior scouts began saddling up. Jasmine gave her horse, Luna a loving pat as she adjusted her saddle. She hadn't been on a mission in a while and was nervous.

"You doing okay?" Levi took a bite out of an apple as he leant against the stable walls. He walked over to Nox and fed the rest to her before giving her a good scratch behind the ear. He could sense Jasmine's nerves and wanted to check in.

"I just feel out of practice." She admitted. He walked over to her and ruffled her hair, his face close to hers.

"You'll be fine." He promised.

"I noticed Erwin speaking to you." Levi ventured.

"The usual spiel." Jasmine couldn't help but roll her eyes.

"You know he's probably put a lot of thought into this. He thinks about things from every damn angle."

"Yeah, yeah." Though Jasmine respected and trusted her Commander she didn't have the blind faith that Levi seemed to possess.

Levi noticed Jasmine's harness strap hanging slightly loose on her right thigh and without a second thought bent down to adjust it. He noticed how soft yet firm her thighs felt as he tightened the strap. His face grew hot.

"There. Fixed it for you." He muttered. He'd done this same thing for her multiple times before, but this time felt wildly different. A tingle worked its way up Jasmine's spine at the contact, but it was soon replaced by an uncomfortable tightness in her thigh – in his nervousness Levi had done up the strap way too tight.

"Hey, Levi! I think my harness needs tightening too." Hange grinned maniacally.

"Shut up, Four Eyes."