Chapter 8: The Grand Military Ball

Wednesday

When Jasmine arrived at her office that morning she was greeted by a small, mysterious package on her desk – it had been wrapped neatly in lilac tissue paper and there was a small handwritten card attached. She recognised the tidy, cramped cursive immediately.

I'm sorry. I was a massive dick. If I could take back everything I said, I would. But I can't, so you'll have to settle for some macarons. - Levi

She unwrapped the tissue paper, delighted to see five perfect, assorted macarons packed neatly into a small box – she knew they must have cost a pretty penny. She was touched by the thoughtful gesture and felt it was time to let bygones be bygones. She walked over to the communal kitchen and brewed two cups of black tea, splashing a dash of milk into each, before making her way over to Levi's office. Thankfully the door was wide open, so she wasn't forced to perform any awkward maneuvers to enter. Levi looked up, his eyes full of surprise at seeing Jasmine. She wordlessly placed the teacups on two coasters on his desk and retreated. Moments later she returned with the box of macarons.

"Violet and blackberry." She handed a deep purple macaron to Levi, offering him the first bite, knowing how weird he could be about sharing food. In truth, Levi had never had problems sharing food with Jasmine – her cooties didn't bother him as much as some of his other friends' (Hange being one of the worst offenders).

"You first." He smiled, relieved at the peace offering. Jasmine took a bite, savouring the tart fruity flavour that coated her mouth. She nodded appreciatively.

"You did good." She handed the half-bitten macaron to Levi and he carefully bit into it – damn, it was delicious!

"We also have Earl Grey, Raspberry Vanilla, Lavendar, and Caramel to get through." She grinned in excitement.

"You doing okay?" Levi finally asked.

"Yeah. You?" He nodded.

"Your lip's looking better." Jasmine could see the split had healed into a small scar.

"Your knuckles too." Nothing got past her.

"I didn't realise James was an ex." Levi ventured. He wondered whether Jasmine was still going to the ball with the guy, or whether she'd finally come to her senses, but had no way to ask outright.

"Barely. We dated for like two months back when we were cadets. Does that really qualify as an ex?" The conversation was getting a little uncomfortable for Jasmine's liking.

"So, I didn't realise you were an artist." She shot Levi a devilish smirk. He stared back, confused.

"Yesterday when you came by with your "paperwork", I think some of your art had made it into the pile." She watched his face get pink, enjoying making him squirm.

"Go on! Show us!" She pleaded. He shook his head defiantly. Jasmine got up and started sifting through the piles of paper on his desk – a woman on a mission. Levi's eyes widened and he tried to find the offending picture before she did. Jasmine laughed gleefully as she found the doodle, tucked between some reports. Levi made one last attempt at snatching the piece of paper off her, but it was too late. Jasmine smiled as she examined the crudely drawn picture of Levi's horse, Nox.

"Mine now. Consider it payment for sharing my macarons." She claimed the drawing for herself, finding it touching. After all these years, Levi still managed to surprise her.

**********

Thursday

The mess hall was full of excited chatter – there was only one more day to go before the ball. Veterans and rookies alike were finalising their plans for the big night.