Chapter 9: Hell Hath No Fury

Levi looked at Jasmine longingly. He wanted so badly to walk over and keep her company, but he knew he shouldn't interfere. She sat alone at the table waiting for James, who still hadn't returned from his little "bathroom break". She accepted another glass of wine from a fleeting waiter and sipped at it just to give herself something to do. As she considered returning to her friends, James strode up to her, rubbing his nose discretely.

"Let's go dance." He sounded perkier as he led her to the dance floor which was in full-swing. Although Jasmine wasn't entirely impressed by his behaviour, she gave him the benefit of the doubt – he probably had a lot on his mind with his sick dad, so it made sense that he was acting out somewhat. The lighting in the hall had been dimmed to foster a party atmosphere and Jasmine tried to clear her head and enjoy herself. As the two danced, Jasmine felt her walls give way and found she was having a good time. She was reminded that good things never lasted as James grabbed at her hips, drawing her in close. She tried to put some distance between them but he was unrelenting. His hands drifted down to her ass and she forced them off.

"Stop." She let out an uncomfortable laugh to try and keep the mood light. He grinned sloppily – he must have downed a few more drinks because he reeked of alcohol. He grabbed her harder, his hands groping now, and tried to force a kiss.

"STOP IT!" She yelled as she shoved him hard in the chest. James stumbled backwards.

"Stupid bitch." He muttered as she hurriedly walked off the dancefloor. The guests around them stopped dancing momentarily, confused at what had just occurred.

Jasmine made her way out into the courtyard at the back of the hall. It was mostly empty, save for some couples who had come out for some privacy. She took in some shaky deep breaths and felt tears spring to her eyes. She furiously blinked them back in an attempt to hold them at bay, but before long they were streaming down her face. The last few weeks had been so shit. She was so stupid. Why did she have to go and confess her feelings to Levi? How could she be so deluded into thinking he would like her back? And he had been so right about James, in every way. He was an absolute prick and Jasmine had only really liked the attention. She was disgusted in herself and felt absolutely hideous. She let herself wallow in her self-pity – she deserved a good cry.

Levi had seen the whole thing play out and without even thinking realised he was walking up to James.

"Don't you fucking touch her." Levi's voice was low and menacing. His eyes were full of warning.

"Or what? You gonna try and hit me again, shrimp?" James shoved Levi. Levi staggered back a few steps but remained upright. Onlookers started to grow more interested.

"I mean it." Levi straightened his bow tie and made his way to the courtyard proud at himself for not engaging.

"Levi!" Hange caught up to him.

"I didn't touch the prick." Levi expected Hange to berate him, but instead they held out a few napkins.

"You might need these." They said, patting their friend on the shoulder. He looked down at the napkins, confused.

**********

Levi made his way out into the courtyard – the cool air felt refreshing compared to the stuffy feel of the hall. He walked over to the lone bench where Jasmine sat off to the side. The other end of the bench was occupied by two amorous lovers who were busy sucking each other's faces.

"Scram." He demanded. The couple got up hastily, adjusting straps and belts as they scurried off elsewhere. Levi sat beside Jasmine wordlessly, his thigh touching hers. He noticed plump teardrops fall from her eyes. He handed her a napkin, thankful for Hange's foresight, and she accepted it graciously. She kept her head turned, not wanting Levi to see her crying.