21. Christmas at the Café

Eros and Nyx walked through the Old City. In the underworld there was a city that went deep, deep down into the rocks. Legend claimed it was built by the first civilisation to ever exist. A civilisation that came before Olympians or even Titans.

Now, the miscreants of the underworld lurked in this city – escaping judgement from the gods.

 Nyx's armour glinted in the torch light and her sword whispered in her grip – warning her that danger was nearby. Eros had an arrow notched and ready in his bow.

Moving quietly, they followed the directions their informant had given them. Turning down a passage, they came to a ruin etched into the caves. Time had eroded the symbols and faces that had once been carved beautifully into the rock. Broken bottles were strewn on the ground and the stench of alcohol made Nyx's nose turn up in distaste.

The singing from Nyx's blade intensified into a hiss.

"What is it?" Eros whispered.

"The Kobalos. They must be close."

Eros' lips thinned but Nyx shook her head.

"It's not our scent that they're stalking. It's his."

Nodding her head, Eros saw what Nyx had spotted first. The shadow of a slumped man.

Approaching closer, Eros' lips parted in surprise. They'd finally found him. The man they'd been hunting. They'd anticipated a fierce fight, but...

Adonis was unconscious, and slumped against a wall. A jug of wine had slipped from his grip and the contents had soaked his lap. Eros lowered his bow.

"I thought you wanted him erased." Nyx murmured; her voice cold.

Eros stood over Adonis, and the longer he looked – the brighter Eros' eyes glowed.

"If you can't do it – then leave him. The Kobalos will devour him for us."

Eros frowned.

"I expected him to have an empty heart." Eros spoke softly. He'd been pleased at the prospect of punishing the monster that had abducted Sage. But Adonis' tired soul wasn't as he'd expected it to be.

Slowly, Eros crouched down at Adonis' side.

"He has the powers of a war god and a death god. It would be shame to waste them." Eros pointed out. "If the Kobalos devour him, it will only make their hold on the underworld stronger."

"What do you suggest?" Nyx hissed. She flexed her grip on her weapon. They were running out of time. The Kobalos would sense them soon.

"Another form of punishment. And a different kind of prison." Eros held his arrow in his hand, the tip hovering very close to Adonis' skin – it's poisoned tip shimmering in the dark. "Love shackles a person far more powerfully than iron chains ever can."

**

                          Ares slowly approached Hades' alter. No one had seen the king of the underworld. He'd vanished after saving Ares' soul. But they could feel him. In the halls, the ashy plains and rivers. Ares went down onto his knees at Hades' dusty alter and gazed up at the carving of his uncle.

"Uncle," his voice trembled. Hades' spirit fluttered in the air around him and Ares sensed that his uncle could see him. "Thank you." Ares bowed his head in a sign of ultimate respect.