4. The Chicken

After that, Ares came frequently to Hecate's palace. He'd step off his chariot, leaving his horrific beasts behind, and then would stride with cold indifference into Hecate's chambers. Not once did he come to speak with Sage.

Depression clawed at Sage. Dragging down her expectations. The vision she'd had, of her and Ares lying in bed together – was a cruel mockery. It was impossible that this future would take place...

**

             "What's it like in the underworld, Sage?" Eros asked her, when he came to deliver food. "I have been given instructions by Cesar. He wants to know what the 'hot nymph males' are like?" Eros rolled his eyes. "He's hoping to live vicariously through you. He'll be disappointed if you aren't enjoying a couple of lovers."

Jaz had warned Sage before she came here, that immortals were very easy when it came to sex. They liked to change partners and try new things. If she was willing, they'd be plenty of offers. Cesar had been very excited by this.

Sage shrugged.

"I..." She hadn't flirted with any of the men here. "Can you lie for me?" She asked. 

Eros understood. He knew Sage's heart even better than she did. He knew she only had one man in her head. In her heart. In her soul. 

Eros nodded.

"I'll tell him that you're dating a nymph and a harpy. The idea of a threesome should excite him no end."

Sage snorted. She looked through the  goodie bags Jaz had made for her.

"I miss Jaz." She murmured.

"He misses you too." Eros' gaze was sad. "Orion will defeat the giants soon and then you can come home."

Sage really wanted that to be true but...

"I haven't had any visions of that happening."

Eros pulled Sage into a hug.

"Don't worry about it." He told her. "There's plenty of things that happen that you don't see. Millions of things. But they still happen."

Sage hugged him tightly.

"Hey, what's that?" Eros started – pulling Sage protectively behind him. A horrendous roar had reverberated above them.

"It's fine. It's Ares." Sage reassured him. They both looked up to see Ares' chariot soaring overhead. The monsters leading the chariot, screeched as they passed them – making Sage and Eros wince.

"What's pissed him off so much?" Eros muttered, clutching his ears. Sage shrugged; she had no idea.

They watched the chariot soar into the distance before being swallowed by the fog, and Sage's heart ached painfully. 

**

               "Serve the Death God his nectar, do not drink it." Aroma rumbled. Sage cocked an eyebrow.

"You usually want me to drink things I shouldn't."

"Not this. This nectar belongs to the gods. It is there's alone."

Sage looked at the golden liquid with interest. It looked like thick glittery syrup. Carefully, she sniffed it. Bringing it closer to her face, Sage realised that it had a glowing haze hovering atop its surface. She breathed in, smelling something sweet yet spicy. She was curious to try it. But she wasn't an idiot.