15. A Little bit of Poison

"You're here. Alone. I thought you might be with Adonis." Ares commented, finding Sage in the courtyard. His black robes billowed out behind him as he slowly descended the stone steps towards her.

"Oh?" 

Sage didn't really know how to reply. It was the first time they'd spoken in a while. She focused on hanging her clothes on the washing line and tried to think of something normal to say.

Ares forced his voice to sound bored and calm.

"It is normal for lovers to spend time together when they can."

Sage nearly choked on her own saliva.

"Lovers? Adonis and I?" He thought that her and Adonis were lovers?! His steady gaze made Sage's face flush miserably. She quickly looked away from him and cleared her throat. "You... you're speaking quite calmly."

"Why shouldn't I be calm?"

"Because we're talking about me potentially having a lover." Sage gawped at Ares. She wanted to deny it – of course Adonis wasn't her lover. But first, she wanted to hear Ares admit that the idea bothered him.

Ares held his hands behind his back.

"You're free to have any lover you wish." He pointed out – his tone matter of fact. Sage felt like a bucket of cold water had been poured over her.

"Good." She retorted. "Good to know."

She ground her teeth together, looking like she was chewing on nails. Ares left her side, making a pretence of needing to check his dragon's wings. In reality he was hiding his face. 

He heard Sage's steps as she stomped away from him. His lips parted and he almost called out to stop her. But then the image of Sage and Adonis cuddled up together returned to his mind – and he couldn't form a single word. He scrunched his eyes shut and rested his forehead against Frumwryn's scaly chest.

                        Sage stalked into the palace and angrily descended on the kitchens. This was excruciating. Being around Ares in this weird ex's situation was hard enough – but for him to be so completely over her...

He didn't even care if she had a lover in front of him. Whilst Sage felt like she was losing her mind watching Ares interact with his wife Hecate. Hot tears stung Sage's eyes. She just wanted to go home.

Home.

Sage flung a cup into the washing up bowel. When could she go home? The war against the Titans was still raging. Her heart fractured painfully at the thought of Jaz and the others – protected by Jaz' crumbling shields.

Sage stopped washing up, her hands going still in the soapy water. She wanted to know for certain that she would be back at the cafe soon. She wanted a vision that might make that happen sooner. Sage squared her shoulders, decision made.

It was time to poison herself again.

**

                  Hecate called Adonis to her rooms that night, desiring her concubine's company. As soon as Ares heard, his thoughts went to Sage. Had Sage heard where Adonis had gone tonight? Was she hurting now that she had to share her new lover?

Jealousy gnawed at him, making him hope Adonis stayed locked away in Hecate's rooms for the next hundred years. But the thought of Sage alone didn't give him any joy. Resigned, Ares stretched out his shadows to search for her.