10. Chariot Thieves

Adonis returned to the inn, late. He'd been about the city, flaunting his wealth and bragging about his connections with the gods – trying to attract the enemy's attention. He wanted them to try to capture him. He grinned at the idea.

They wouldn't be prepared for what he could do.

The moment his foot touched the inn's slate flooring, Adonis' senses came alive – warning him who was close by.

Adonis grunted in pain, as he was slammed into by a death god.

Ares seized Adonis' throat and lifted him up, letting Adonis' feet barely scrape against the ground.

"I apologise, my lord." Adonis rasped beneath Ares' punishing grip.

"Why did you take Sage?" Ares demanded, his touch burning Adonis' throat.

Ares let him go and Adonis fell to his knees.

"I thought I was being punished for stealing your chariot..." Adonis replied, coughing.

Ares' nostrils flared.

"Don't test my patience, concubine."

"Who are you to Sage, my lord?" Adonis remained on his knees but he looked up at Ares, his gaze unafraid. "Not her guardian or lover. Not even her friend."

Ares faltered. The longer he couldn't answer – the higher Adonis raised his head.

"What are you to Sage?" Ares countered, his voice rough. 

"Whatever she wants me to be. It's her choice. It's always the lady's choice."

Ares glowered at Adonis. A burning hatred seethed through him. Adonis bowed his head, waiting for Ares' verdict. From upstairs, they both heard a loud thud. 

Distracted, and a little worried, Ares turned his back on Adonis.

"You are Hecate's man. I shall leave your punishment to her."

"As you wish."

Adonis cocked his head and watched Ares quickly climb the stairs – clearly headed for Sage's room.

                  Inside the room, Eros was shaking with anger.

"How could you do that to me, Sage?!" Eros railed angrily. "Do you have any idea how scared I was? I kept imagining having to tell Jaz the worst. If something happened to you, it would kill him, Sage."

Sage hung her head guiltily.

"My visions showed-"

"Ergh! I hate your visions!" Eros roared. The contents of the room shifted – the bed over turning and causing the floor to shake. "Haven't they ruined your life enough? Just ignore them!"

"What if one day I see a titan killing Jaz, do you want me to ignore that to?!" Sage retorted.

Eros grabbed Sage by the shoulders and shook her.

"I want you to talk with us about it. I want you to share a fucking burden for once in your life. Stop shutting everyone out!" Tears shone in Eros' eyes. "Can't you see how it hurts everyone around you?!"

"The fuck does that mean?!" Sage yelled. The door behind Eros creaked as Ares entered the room. Eros was breathing heavily and a silver tear slid down his elfin face.