6. The Vision

Alone in her meditation space, Sage was frustrated. Her visions were important, Ares knew this, or there would be no need to keep her hidden away from the giants. But he was ignoring her. The vagueness of her visions was making him dismiss them. Perhaps if she could go deeper into the vision – she'd understand it better...

Her eyelashes were wet from crying. She'd allowed herself a long time to cry over Ares. But now she needed to be calm. Calm and empty.

Sage pulled out a small vial from her pocket. Five years ago, she'd wanted to strengthen her visions and had investigated the methods used by the seers of ancient times. Back then, there were stories of the oracles of Delphi taking herbs and concoctions to enhance their powers. Curious, Sage had tried to brew her own.

This blend worked. 

She breathed deeply. She didn't do this unless the situation was desperate. She'd promised Jaz never to use it ever again.

"I tried." She murmured. "I really fucking tried, Jaz. But the right visions aren't coming."

Closing her eyes, she tipped her head back and drank the vial's contents – forcing herself to swallow it down.

Poison. A small quantity. Not enough to kill her.

But enough to hurt.

                 Sage clutched her stomach and lay in the foetal position. Bile dripped from her lips and down her cheek – pooling beneath her. Her eyes were black. Black as the void she was trapped in. But the void had a voice.

You know where you must go.

The void's voice rasped.

The City of Sin, Sage replied.

Yes.

But Ares won't take me.

You know where you must go.

Is there another way?

                "You've hurt yourself." Adonis' voice wasn't worried, only intrigued. Sage returned from the void and groaned. She held herself rigid, trying to handle the pain twisting and stabbing her insides.

"Leave me." She croaked. Her eyes returned to their usual colour and she exhaled – the pain lessoning slightly.

Adonis picked up the vial she'd dropped and studied it.

"You work so hard, why?" Adonis questioned.

"Why?"

"Why, with your gifts, aren't you living like a queen?"

Grunting, Sage forced herself to sit up. Vomit had crusted on her jaw.

"It's not a gift." She replied grimly. "It's a responsibility."

Adonis reached out and held her face, making her look at him. Sage grimaced, but Adonis wasn't disgusted by the state she was in. His eyes were blazing. Blazing and brilliant.

"No, it's power. Power - you have. And you're letting them hide you. They've put you in the underworld, and got you serving drinks when you should be making them beg for your help. They should be desperate to protect you – they are – but its only so they can use you."