17. Funeral of a Death God

Sage tried desperately to yank her leg free. Ares materialised at her side – with a roar he blasted his shadows at the inky water – hurting whatever was trying to claw its way up her leg. Sage's lips were turning purple, her body convulsing from the cold, and Ares quickly lifted her up out of the water.

"N-no!" Sage's teeth chattered furiously – stopping her words. She squirmed in Ares' arms – trying to point furiously at the candle – willing Ares to understand her.

Blow out the candle. Blow out the candle.

Ares cried out and fell to his knees. Sage fell with him – but he cushioned her landing and then pushed her away from him and away from the waters edge. Sage rolled and gaped at Ares. He'd left the palace to protect her. She tried to get her arms and legs to move – but her body was still convulsing, the icy cold of the waters had poisoned her – she realised now.

Rolling onto her stomach, she looked pleadingly up at Adonis.

The concubine's skin was glowing. The candle smoke coiled in the spiral upwards – having no effect on Sage. But it wasn't Sage's soul it was seeking.

Ares grunted in pain.

"How?" He rasped, glaring up at Adonis.

"Hecate has been feeding me her essence for centuries – in her desperation to keep me beautiful." Adonis' voice was sneering as he explained. "And then, she married you and your powers combined, giving me your essence too." Adonis' glare was deadly. "I got my murderers aura poured into my own. Polluting me."

Light poured out of Ares in clouds – cast out with every breath. And every cloud of light entered Adonis making his skin glow brighter. "Now, with Medusa's candle – I can take every last drop. All of your power will become mine."

"And you will become a death god."

"Beats being a ghost."

Ares fell onto his side. The clouds of light coming from him were becoming smaller and more faint. Ares reached out for Sage. But Adonis stepped forward and stomped crushingly on Ares' hand. "The oracle is in my possession now. And I understand her potential better than any of you old gods did. I will use her to defeat every enemy that tries to bring me down. You can die, knowing I'm going to keep her alive with me for a long, long time."

Tears streamed down Sage's face. She writhed on her stomach, the sharp rocks digging into her chest. The sight of Ares knocked the breath from her lungs.

"No." She gasped. A wretched, blood-chilling sob rose up from her throat. She didn't notice Adonis picking her up and carrying her over to his waiting boat. Her gaze was fixed on Ares – and on his open, unblinking, unseeing eyes.

He was dead.

The candle spluttered out – its awful mission accomplished. The soul and power of a god had transferred into Adonis' body – bringing Adonis back to life.

The price had been paid. A life for a life.

The boat rocked beneath them and Sage sobbed.

"ARES!"

**

                Hecate followed the ghosts. They were singing to her. Calling for her. The ancient goddess complied – with a slow, steady step. As she walked, she listened intently to their song. It was a song of mourning. Mourning the passing of a god.