5. Avoiding Ares

"Master." Aroma bowed low, stunned to see Ares in the kitchen. The enchanted kitchen staff melted away – leaving Sage exposed.

"I need your eyes." Ares told Sage; his voice cold. He was referring to her ability to see the future. 

It had been days since there last encounter. For the first time, Sage had been relieved not to hear his dragons. She'd wanted Ares to stay far away from her. But now he was back, and this time he'd come looking for her. Sage's jaw ticked with irritation and she resolutely didn't bow to him.

Ares turned and walked out of the kitchen, allowing Sage to follow after him. They stepped into a semi-private alcove and Sage clasped her hands together. She still hadn't bowed her head to him. But he also hadn't asked her to.

Ares saw how Sage's gaze dropped and lingered on his mutilated chest. His eyes flashed red. Perhaps, seeing how he appeared now, Sage thought him a hideous monster. No doubt she was relieved not to still be his lover.

"Have you seen any new titans appearing on the mortal plain?" He asked, his voice terse. 

Sage forced her voice to come out calm and professional. But she still couldn't look him in the face. She was scared that if she did, he'd see how much his attitude hurt her. 

"No. But the giants will attack Paris. I warned Eros already."

"Yes, he has informed Orion and the Olympian troops. But you saw nothing else? No sea monster?"

"Is one missing from Tartarus?"

This time it was Ares' turn to look uneasy. His pride hated to admit fault. 

"The prison is... big – it's hard to tell."

Sage's heart sank. Another escaped titan meant one more monster attacking the cafe. Dread clawed at her stomach from just thinking about Jaz and the others in danger. 

"Can't you – I don't know – put trackers on them – ergh! I'll try to force a vision tonight."

"Can I assist?"

"If you ask the right questions. But I don't know what they are." Sage heaved a sigh and squared her shoulders. This was her duty and she didn't want Ares to think she was weak and complaining. "I can do this without your help. I've been assisting the gods for eight years now."

"I know."

Sage glared at him. He sounded dismissive. As if the lives she'd saved meant nothing. "But how do I know you'll tell me the truth." Ares added coldly. Sage's jaw clenched. This was his first attack. Attacking the fact that she'd once lied to protect him. Sage knew she needed to walk away now, before she said something that she might regret later. 

"My family are back on earth. If there's any information that can keep them safe, I'll give it – like I always have-"

"Wait." Ares' hand clamped on her shoulder.

Sage squeaked. She'd almost collided into a monster that was charging down the corridor.

"Thank you." She murmured sullenly. Once the monster was gone, she stepped out of Ares' reach. Her shoulder felt colder without his hand resting on it. "I'll get going now."

Ares let his arm drop. It was natural that she would recoil from him. No mortal would want to touch death.

**