20. Ares and Sage

Sage woke up feeling groggy and sore. She coughed and Eros was immediately at her bedside.

"Sage." He brought a cup of water to her lips. Sage drank greedily. Glancing around, she realised that she was in Ares' chambers back in Hecate's palace.

"Ares?"

"He'll be fine." Eros told her quickly. "He's in the next room."

Sage sighed in relief. Eros used his hand to dry the water that had dripped down her chin. "You scared me, Sage. I thought we might have lost you."

"It was Adonis-"

"We know. He'll be dealt with."

Eros made Sage lay back down and he tucked the covers carefully around her. "You need to rest."

"Ares-"

"I'll take you to him after you've slept a bit." Eros negotiated. Sage nodded. Her eyes were feeling heavy already.

"You look tired." She murmured, noticing the shadows around Eros' eyes. Eros held Sage's hand and rubbed soothing circles with his thumb.

"I didn't know how to find you." His voice was thick. "I didn't know if you had food. I didn't know if Adonis was torturing you. I didn't know if he had taken your eyes." A tear slipped down Eros face. "I didn't know if I would see you again."

Sage gave his hand a reassuring squeeze.

"I'm alright. I'm safe now."

"Yes. Yes, you are."

**

                        When Sage next woke up, her head ached but it felt less fuzzy at least. She heard movement from the chair beside the bed and she turned her head.

"Ares," she croaked, lurching towards him. Ares was out of the chair in an instant, his gentle hands on her shoulders, urging to rest back against the cushions.

"Easy." Ares cautioned.

Tears filled Sage's eyes but she didn't care. She grabbed his hand and held it – needing to reassure herself that he was alive and real.

"How are you alive?" She breathed.

"Hades and Hecate brought me back."

Sage lifted his hand to her lips and kissed it. She'd thought she'd lost him. They'd been so many things that she'd regretted...

"Ares, I'm still in love with you."

Ares reached across and tucked Sage's hair behind her ear before urging her chin up so that she'd look at him. His gaze was soft. Gently, he separated their hands.

"I'm weak. It might take thousands of years for me to be as strong as my prime again." He spread his arms wide, showing her his mutilated chest. "And I will never be beautiful. I can't impress you by lifting cars over my head. I can't-"

Sage's heart ached for him. She shifted on the bed, moving so that she was on her knees facing him.

"I can offer you so little." Ares' brooding gaze dropped to the ground, his voice bleak. "Only know that I love you. When Eros shot me with an arrow, I fell in love with you and that feeling is but a fraction of what I feel now." He lowered his head.

Sage embraced him – her warm cheek resting against his chest.

"The car thing never impressed me much anyway."