9. Monster Vs Monster

Sage demanded that Adonis tell her, his story. How had Ares killed him? Why had Ares killed him? As they walked through the city, Adonis recounted his mortal life in brief bullet points – not wanting to expand further.

"How did you become Hecate's concubine?" Sage asked, as they crossed an iron bridge over a fiery tributary.

"When I died, Hecate was curious to meet me. Since she'd heard of my looks."

"You're sneering." Sage observed. Adonis turned his face to hers. "You're sneering. You look down on people who value appearance only, don't you?" Sage guessed.

Adonis' gaze flashed, and Sage wondered what the brief flicker of emotion on his face had been.

"Hecate wanted me to be her lover. And I willingly threw myself at her."

Sage considered this. Adonis studied her expression. He found that he actually wanted her to ask him more questions and was disappointed when she didn't, so he decided to offer more.

"Lady Hecate likes it when I grovel."

"Grovel?" Sage's nose scrunched up. Adonis casually tucked his hair back.

"Yes, it pleases her to have me grovel at her feet. I receive the largest rewards for that."

A vendor with three heads sniffed the air as Sage went passed. He growled low in his throat and Sage shivered and walked closer to Adonis. They carried on walking but Sage glanced back.

"We're being followed." Sage hissed to Adonis.

"A mortal soul smells too good to resist." Adonis explained.

"Why? Why do they want to eat me?"

Adonis had given her his clothes to wear, in an attempt to mask her scent. Sage fidgeted with the clothing, trying to make it cover her more.

"Eating you would increase their power. A mortal soul is feast for a monster. It's why the gods guard the souls on their journey through the underworld."

Sage bit her lip as more monsters turned their heads to stare at her.

"Perhaps coming to this place wasn't the best idea." She mumbled, thinking about Ares. He had tried to warn her. But she'd been stubborn. Again.

"Let's head to that building there." Adonis pointed out a building with a blood-red door. "It's owned by a gorgon and she has strict rules about guests not eating one another in there."

"Do guests listen to those rules?" Sage asked, as they changed course.

"If they want to keep breathing, they do."

They ducked through the door and Sage immediately felt more nervous. The roar of snarls, grunts and hisses made her flinch but Adonis pushed her to keep walking forward. The place was large and dark and full of monsters. Sage squinted, her eyes adjusting to the gloom, and quickly scanned the room – trying to work out what was going on.

"Oh." She exclaimed, surprised. She'd spent her childhood in places like this – trying to get her father to leave and come home. "It's a betting hall."

The betting hall was crowded. Fires burned in the grates, the flames hissing and spitting as Sage neared them. Monsters were crushing the tables, shouting bets at the dealers and clamouring for attention. Excitement buzzed through the air, making Sage's heart race.