Chapter - 9

Lucas opened his mouth to speak, but Valerie put a hand over it.

"We need to hide." She hissed . "Now."

Lucas took her word for it and followed her behind the bushes, a whole lot of people came.

"Lucas!" One of them screamed. "Lucas Tenner! Are you here? We just want to bring you back home safe!"

Valerie took a peek from the bushes.

"Think they're Doctor Williams' minions?" Lucas asked.

Valerie shook her head.

"They are not stupid, they would be more discrete, they wouldn't be shouting your name, if it was them, you would be dead right now."

"It's probably a search party then, they're looking for me, we have to go now if we don't wanna get caught."

Valerie took his word for it, she noted to herself  ask what a search party was later, when it was safe.

Valerie followed Lucas through the woods, keeping her ears open for any type of mutated, rabid, monstrous sounds.

She could still hear the people shouting for Lucas, the voices getting closer.

"Where do we hide?" Valerie questioned. "We are in the middle of the woods."

"Officer!" One of them called. "Here."

The officer examined the tents and sleeping bags, luckily Valerie had taken the bag with snacks with her, they had something to give them energy, if they had to flee their spot.

"They were here." The officer said. "Call Lucy Tenner, tell her we found his things, they couldn't have brought these sleeping bags from home." He examined the chocolate wrapper. "This either, they must have bought it somewhere, check all the malls in this area, question the shops, the people, everything."

The other officer nodded, using up his walkie talkie to send a message back to the station.

Valerie and Lucas ran further, not looking where they were going anymore, no way they could camp back there, they would have that place under surveillance now.

"Stop." Lucas pleaded, panting.

"How far did we go?" Valerie asked.

Lucas shrugged.

"Why does it matter we can't go back there anyway." Lucas said.

Valerie knew that, but it still didn't stop her face from filling with clear disappointment, they would have to set up a new place.

Now they had the monster, and the police to worry about.

Valerie leaned against a tree, clutching her head, as if she had a headache.

"You ok Val?" Lucas asked.

Valerie simply nodded.

"My bag has our food, and our blankets inside, we can rest here for now, it's becoming dark, I'll take first shift."

"Okay." Lucas said, opening up the bag, and taking out his blanket, smoothing it, and setting it on the ground.

Valerie looked up at the sky, she had heard thunder.

"Oh no..." Valerie said. "It's going to rain."

Lucas groaned in disbelief, wrapping himself in his blanket, and handing Valerie his jacket. Valerie still wrapped herself in her blanket, sat down on the prickly ground, her senses sharp for any suspicious activity.