Chapter - 8

Lucas and Valerie were trying to discretely walk to the mall, but a girl with no hair and hospital clothes is pretty easy to notice, which is why Lucas gave Valerie his jacket, it should be able to cover her hair and clothes, hopefully.

Valerie's jaw dropped; she was sure this place was shinier than the arcade, suddenly, she felt under-dressed.

Lucas laughed at Valerie's surprise; it was nice to see her smile once in a while.

"Come on." Lucas said, dragging her into one of the clothing stores, Valerie tried on a whole bunch of dresses, until she settled on a white top and some jeans.

Lucas smiled as Valerie came out of her dressing room, spinning and showing him her new outfit.

Lucas was a little resistant to bring Valerie to the store, but Valerie made the first move, walking inside, nudging Lucas to do the same.

Valerie tried on a couple of wigs, and Lucas joined her, trying on funny wigs, just to make her smile, he was just happy Valerie was pushing herself to doing this.

Valerie picked out a wig that looked like her natural hair.

Lucas paid and thanked the cashier.

"We should go and get some snacks now." He told Valerie, she looked unrecognisable now, with her new hair and clothes.

Lucas and Valerie entered a grocery mart, buying a few packets of chips, candy, and a whole lot of water bottles.

Lucas let Valerie explore the stores, while he went to a camping shop, to buy a tent and some sleeping bags, and two torches.

He met back with her at a lounge.

"Okay, so I got all of this, you know basic survival stuff." Lucas said. "We should probably leave now."

Lucas and Valerie hiked back into the woods, trying to draw as less attention as possible.

A few taxi drivers offered to give them a ride, which Lucas politely declined.

They had to wake up at five a.m to walk to the mall, and probably even more time to get back, but Lucas wouldn't give anyone the chance to know their location.

"Are we there yet?" Valerie whined, leaning against a tree for a break, she was so exhausted.

Lucas did the same, panting.

"Come on. ", Lucas said. "We just have a little more to go."

After another hour of hiking, they finally reached their campsite.

Valerie and Lucas collapsed to the ground.

"That was not a little more." Valerie told, completely out of breath, but for some reason, she started laughing, Lucas broke out too.

"We should set the tents up." Lucas said, between laughs.

Valerie nodded, and Lucas pulled a tent out of the bag, but Valerie had a better idea. She pulled her hand out front and used her powers to set the tents.

She did the same with Lucas's tent.

Lucas placed the sleeping bags inside each tent.

"Well, I guess that's it." Lucas confirmed.

Valerie let out a sigh of relief, using her powers had taken a lot of energy from her, she herself was surprised that she hadn't collapsed.

Right on cue, Valerie's legs started shaking, Lucas ran over to steady her seating her down on their old blankets.