Chapter- 18

"Who is she?" Lacey asked again, in a stern voice.

"My friend." Lucas replied. "It's time for you to go home." He finished sheepishly. "Here is my address, in case you need to come again."

Lucas picked up a pen and paper, writing what seemed to be his address, which Valerie didn't get, until she read the paper.

Get back in by the back door, and sneak into the basement. It read.

Valerie gave him a slight nod, sneaking out to the back, avoiding their highly suspicious faces, as she walked out.

"You never told me you were having a friend over?" Lucas's dad pointed out.

"It was a last-minute project; I had forgot about it." Lucas lied.

"I let her in." Lucy protected. "Lucas's assignment was due; he is already failing his classes because of the disappearance and stuff."

"Is she new?" his dad asked. "I've never seen her in any of the parent teacher conferences, or performances at your school."

"Yeah...uh, she just joined, and I offered to partner up with her, to help her understand what she missed out on." Lucas replied.

"Okay..." Lacey said suspiciously. "Where does she live, by the way?"

"Why do you want to know that?" Lucas asked.

"The partners you pick now are your partner for the whole semester remember? I just want to know so I can drop you off at her house in future projects."

"She'll mostly be here, her parents only come at the night, and till then she stays in her cousins house." He told, unsure of his lie.

Lacey wasn't believing a single word he said, she knew there was more he was hiding, but she decided to let it go.

Lacey had gone up to her room, and his dad was in his parent's room.

"That was close." Lucy whispered. "Do you think Valerie knows what a back door is?"

"I mean.... I think so. It doesn't seem like something she wouldn't know."

"She was raised in an asylum, i don't think they would be giving her ideas to escape."

"Good point, let's go check."

To Lucas's relief Valerie was there.

He handed her some pizza, which his dad had brought Home.

"What is it?" she asked.

"Food." Lucas replied. "Try it." He nudged.

"Lucas!" Lacey called. "Where are you?"

"I'm coming!" Lucas shouted back. "Give me a second!"

He ran back up.

"What happened?"

"We need to talk." Lacey said, pulling him to her room. "Come on." She ran inside, Lucas behind her, and closed the door.

"Who is she Lucas?" Lacey asked. "Don't lie to me, you may have  mom and dad fooled, but I'm not buying a single word of your performance out there."

"Stop with this nonsense." Lucas told. "She is my friend, who came over for a project, what's not to believable in that?"

Lucas walked to the door, ready to walk out, when Lacey came and stood in front of him.

"If she was the friend who came over for your project, why was Darren, Justin, and Ben here?"

"They were here to ask for help, about the project. Wait a minute... how did you know they were here?"