nineteen

"where were you young man?" laughed nate seeing vinnie come in doing a walk of 'shame'.

"dad i need help." he sighed, his dad was mixing his coffee.

"i can tell." he said. "youre not going to rest?"

"i cant. i spent all night with elle."

"you called her elle."

"i always call her elle."

"you stopped for a while. whatd you two do?"

vinnie just stayed silent.

"i have my answer." said nate. "i dont really see many men looking upset after a night like the one you probably had."

"its not the night im upset about. its the fact thag its a night, not nights. not daily."

"man, i don't understand why you guys just dont try things again. you love her, she loves you, you can have a family, more kids, what is stopping you?"

"whats stopping us is that shes not in love with me. she romantically resents me. i overstepped her boundaries too many times, she got sick of romance because of me."

"she has a lot of good judgement, i dont think she would sleep with you if she didnt have romantic pull toward you."

"yea, she does. im the love of her life, but the pull isnt strong enough. shes scared of me romantically, and of ruining jane's vision of family."

"baby steps. you know everyone messes up, im not saying you never overstepped, you deserved for her to leave you in that time. but you fixed yourself, and maybe its time to prove it to her."

"dad, you dont know elle how i do. she has maybe a speck of faith in us as a couple."

"then you need to use that speck and get all you have."

"daddy?" said jane walking into the kitchen rubbing her eyes.

"hi princess." he said picking her up. "i missed you. did you sleep good?"

"im still tired." she said and yawned. "hi papa."

"hey girly." smiled nate.

"i am too. lets get to bed, we can sleep till late."

she smiled and nodded. "bye papa."

"ill talk to you later dad." said vinnie and nate nodded

***

"shhh." said vinnie hugging his daughter to whoever was knocking on the door while they were sleeping in.

"its me." said isa walking into his bedroom. "shes still sleeping?"

"yea, she's experiencing jet lag. did you sleep?" he asked her, he sat up without disrupting janes sleep.

"yea, a bit. its 1:45."

"oh fuck." he said. "let her sleep, she got up when i got here last night."

"i promised id take her to have a fun day."