6. - A Comparison

{Alain's POV}

After the hotel stay, and whatever mischief Mairin wanted to do with me, we continued on our training. We stopped at a route with flowers and a soft breeze blowing in the wind, where more Grass and Flying types tend to come around, for more interesting type matchups. Who knows? Maybe other people might see us train and want to battle us too.

Even with all the sleep I got, I couldn't get in the mood to do some training alongside Perla. Their orders kept echoing in my mind. "I have to force her to join, by any means. Capture her, lie to her, anything..." I murmured, leaning my head onto a tree, sighing. 

I want to continue being in Team Flare, to protect everyone by getting stronger. She wants to be stronger as well... Maybe she has the same goal as me. Do we even run on the same wavelength?

I checked the overwhelming amount of info Celosia sent me. It had basically everything; her address, the pokemon she used besides her Audino, etc. How in the world do they even collect these? It feels like they had eyes on her before this task was handed to me... it's unsettling. It's the exact same thing with me. I got handed my own file, complete with my background and information... Should I let history repeat itself?

Perla sat down, looking like she's done a lot. "You're not gonna train this time?"

"Nope." I sighed. But her eyes, those glassy eyes of hers... were eyeing the info. I immediately shut it off. But she only laughed, finding it funny. Maybe because I never told her the reason...

"Is that my Trainer ID? I didn't know you were searching all about me..." She calmed down her fit of laughter.

"I... kind of? Well, how about I ask you instead, Perla." I pocketed my Holo Caster, along with my conflicted little feelings. "What other Pokemon do you use?"

Perla checked her team. "There's Audino, Meowstic, Chandelure, Gogoat and Altaria."

"A well-rounded team." I stated my opinion. Even if it wasn't a full team of six, the information given to me had all the moves of the five Pokemon she had. Perla was more of a support type, meaning pairing her up in a double battle would automatically give you the advantage. And with the request hanging on the white-haired girl's head...

"By the way, are you going to join the..." I stopped, not letting myself say that yet. "Tournament? I heard a conference was coming up."

"A conference? No, I'll pass this one. I feel like I'm not strong enough." She put her head down, the doubt clearer than I thought.

"Alright. I'm sure some of my friends and rivals would be there, too. Like Ash and his gang." I calmly responded. She scooted closer, picking flowers nearby.

"Mhm." She now seemed focused on making little flower crowns. The entire moment felt peaceful. But it still felt out of place. Like, I should act now, speak now, say it, say it, say it! But why am I not doing it? My hands clutched my scarf, ready to lash out at it, but Perla stopped me. "Something wrong?" She asked, and I sighed, letting go.

"Just... something I have to ask. There's no need for you to answer but..." I turned on my Holo Caster, showing the graph of the amount of Infinity Energy I collected. The graph curved upwards, about 3/4 of it complete.

"What's that?" Perla tilted her head.

"Infinity Energy, the same one used in Mega Evolution. I've been harnessing it to help a certain group. Do you... also want to help? You look like you have some."

"I... I actually don't know how much I have on my person right now."

"Let me help." I pulled Perla onto my lap without any warning, removing the clip from the back of her hair. I used my Holo Caster, and the amount she collected, compared to mine, was around the same level. My eyes widened in awe. "Huh... any you say you're not strong enough. Take a look at this..." She shifted her position, looking at the comparison.

"Wow..." she muttered. Looks like I'm not the only one. "Um... so what was Mairin gonna say before she found us in the same room?"

I took the awe away from my face, relaxing my expression and position, just letting the girl lie her head down on my lap. "Y'know... about Chespie. How it's doing, maybe some about you, that's all she asked as we were running around the hotel living room."

Then, silence. The winds, rustling leaves and petals, and occasional hum from Perla. But when I noticed, she stopped, probably remembering last night.

"Hey, um..." I started. "I didn't mean to hit you at the back of the head with my Mega Ring."

"No no, it's alright." She responded, opening up a little. "Maybe I... I should head back, continue doing my own thing. I'm glad the scientists aren't chasing me anymore." Perla sounded so relieved. I already knew.

"Wait, don't." I suddenly started. "I still need you for something..."

"And that is?"

"Someone to watch me battle in the tournament." I softly smiled, and she smiled back. I guess that means she accepts it. 

---

"Alain, did you convince her to get on our side?" Celosia asked, her purple visor visible on the faint glow of the Holo Caster. It was late at night, we decided to camp out. Perla was fast asleep.

"Yes. I did it. She'll be watching in the tournament. But on one condition... As long as you keep the scientists hidden, she won't panic and run away." I informed Celosia, and the other three admins, who had similar looking visors. Celosia gave an affirmative nod, before walking away, letting Lysandre in.

"You sent me the graph of the amount of Infinity Energy, right?" His voice gave me chills. I nodded. "So, she really is useful for Team Flare. We've arranged a separate room for her to view the Lumiose Conference, since I, along with the scientists and Mairin, will be in one sitting. Enough space to keep her wavering anxiety down." His tone was always so formal, and intimidating. But that's how all bosses sound to me.

"Do I have to tell her?" I asked.

"That's your choice." His tone shifted, more stern and hard. "Any other questions, Alain?" I sighed and shook my head. 

The call ended, leaving a bitter feeling in my mouth. "It's my choice...? I'll just..." I couldn't even form a sentence afterward. As much as I hate to leave it to my own thoughts, I set my device down, curling myself to a sleeping position, and letting all of this pass.