Numb

-

Aspen Winona Winchester was fourteen years old when her spark was consumed by darkness.

The minute her father died in front of her eyes was the moment she became numb, losing all her feelings.

It was supposed to be a normal night. A normal family night. Her mom, Suzanne was at work at the hospital, night shift.

Her father, Jeff was in the living room tired from working all day. Aspen was in her room doing homework.

It was a normal night. It was. Then Aspen heard her father shout from the living room, it had startled her making her heart race in her chest.

Concerned for her father, Aspen stood up from her bed, her bare feet touching the cold hardwood floor.

She walked out of her room and into the hallway. "Dad?" She called out, worried.

"No!" She jumped back as she heard her father yell but it sounded panicked and scared.

It wasn't until Aspen reached the living room that she knew why her father sounded scared and panicked.

Three men with black skie mask were in the living room. Two of them were holding Jeff as he struggled with them.

The other rushed over to Aspen grabbing a fistful of her hair. "You scream, and I'll kill your daddy." He growled into her ear and Aspen kept her mouth shut but her eyes watered as she stared into her father's eyes that looked so scared.

Not for him,no. For her, he was scared for her.

"Tie him up and get the stuff." The man holding Aspen ordered out and the other two followed the order.

Aspen was thrown on the couch and a gun was pointed at her. "Don't move."

Her father was tied up in front of her in a chair.

The people moved around the house taking stuff but Aspen's eyes never left her father's.

"That's it? This is barley worth anything!" Aspen slightly flinched as the shout before her breathing quicken as a man rushed over, pointing a gun to her father's head.

Jeff was shouting something but it was muffled and a gunshot rang out.

Blood painted the walls, the picture frames but most of all, Aspen skin and clothing.

A scream tore through Aspen's throat, tears sliding down her face as she rushed over to her father, her hands hovering over him.

"Shut up! Shut the hell up!" The man yelled at her but Aspen's scream turned into wailing before anger took over her body completely.

There was a beer bottle on the table half full and Aspen grabbed it and before the man could react, she threw it at his face, the bottle broke and it made the man drop the gun.

Aspen didn't hesitate to grab the gun and aiming it at the man and she pulled the trigger without a second thought.

She turned to the other two. "No, wait, we didn't want to do this, we can talk, just put the gun down,okay?" One of them told her.

Aspen's eyes were cold as she glared at them, no emotion other than anger.

She didn't say anything as she pulled the trigger two more times. Sirens were heard from a distance and Aspen dropped the gun before she sat down on the ground next to her father.

Tears flew down her face like an endless stream of water but she didn't feel anything anymore.

She was just numb.