𝗰𝗵𝗮𝗽𝘁𝗲𝗿 𝘁𝗲𝗻.

FINE LINE - UNDISCOVERED TRUTHS

No one in the Gryffindor Tower slept that night, the fear of not knowing whether Sirius Black was still roaming about took over everyone's minds. They knew that the castle was being searched but that didn't help with the deep feeling of the unknown.

The whole house stayed awake, whether they were in the common room or their dormitories, no one could even close their eyes until they knew whether Black had been caught. At dawn, Professor McGonagall came to tell everyone that he had managed to escape, again.

Mavis was conflicted. She knew that Sirius was a good man but after all these actions, she wasn't so sure. What if he had lied to her? What if he had lied to her to get closer to Harry?

Everywhere she went the next day she saw signs of tighter security; Professor Flitwick could be seen teaching the front doors to recognise a large picture of Sirius Black; Filch was suddenly bustling up and down the corridors, boarding up everything from tiny cracks in the walls to mouse holes.

As if a silent prayer was heard, Sir Cadogan had been sacked. His portrait had been taken back to its lonely landing on the seventh floor, and the Fat Lady was back. She had been expertly restored, but was still extremely nervous, and had only agreed to return to her job on condition that she was given extra protection.

A bunch of surly security trolls had been hired to guard her. They paced the corridor in a menacing group, talking in grunts and comparing the size of their clubs.

All whilst these precautions were put in place, Mavis couldn't help noticing that the statue of the one-eyed witch on the third floor remained unguarded and unblocked. It seemed that Fred and George had been right in thinking that they - and now her along with Harry, Ron and Hermione - were the only ones who knew about the hidden passageway within it.

After that night, Ron had become an instant celebrity. For the first time in his life, people were paying more attention to him than to Harry, and it was clear that Ron was rather enjoying the experience. Though still severely shaken by the night's events, he was happy to tell anyone who asked, what had happened, with a wealth of detail.

Neville was in total disgrace, however. Professor McGonagall was so furious with him she had banned him from all future Hogsmeade visits, given him a detention and forbidden anyone to give him the password into the Tower.

Poor Neville was forced to wait outside the common room every night for somebody to let him in, while the security trolls leered unpleasantly at him. None of these punishments, however, came close to matching the one his grandmother had in store for him.

Two days after Black's break-in, she sent Neville the very worst thing a Hogwarts student could receive over breakfast - a Howler. The school owls swooped into the Great Hall, carrying the post as usual, and Neville choked as a huge barn owl landed in front of him, a scarlet envelope clutched in its beak.