𝗰𝗵𝗮𝗽𝘁𝗲𝗿 𝘁𝘄𝗲𝗻𝘁𝘆-𝘁𝘄𝗼.

FINE LINE - FOREBODING FATE

When Mavis woke up on Sunday morning, it took her a moment to remember why she felt so tense. Then the memory of the previous night rolled over her. Sighing, she ripped off the duvet covering most of her body and sat up. Quickly getting dressed, Mavis made her way down the spiral staircase and into the common room.

The moment she appeared she was greeted with applause from those who had already finished breakfast. Despite not having been picked by the Goblet itself, Gryffindor was still happy to have another champion representing their house.

Huffing to herself, Mavis thought the prospect of going down into the Great Hall and facing the rest of the Gryffindors, all treating her like some sort of hero, was not inviting. She walked resolutely over to the portrait hole, pushed it open, climbed out of it and found herself face to face with Hermione and Harry.

"Hello," Hermione said, holding up a stack of toast, which she was carrying in a napkin. "I brought you this... want to go for a walk?"

"Good idea," Mavis said gratefully. "Why are you both up so early?"

"Needed to get out of the common room," Harry said, taking a slice of toast from Hermione.

"Ah," Mavis nodded in understanding. "What about you, 'Mione?"

"I knew you wouldn't go down to breakfast so I thought I'd bring some up for you," Hermione answered, blushing slightly.

"Thank you," Mavis smiled, taking a piece of toast and quickly taking a bite.

The three went downstairs, crossed the Entrance Hall quickly without looking in at the Great Hall, and were soon striding across the lawn towards the lake, where the Durmstrang ship was moored, reflected blackly in the water.

It was a chilly morning, and they kept moving, munching their toast, as Harry told Hermione and Mavis exactly what had happened with the other champions and with Ron. To his immense relief, they accepted his story without question.

"Well, of course, we knew you hadn't entered yourself," Hermione said, when he'd finished telling them about the scene in the chamber off the Hall. "The look on your face when Dumbledore read out your name! But the question is, who did put it in? Because Moody's right, Harry... I don't think any student could have done it... they'd never be able to fool the Goblet, or get over Dumbledore's -"

"Have you seen Ron?" Harry interrupted.

Hermione hesitated, "Erm... yes...he was at breakfast."

"Does he still think I entered myself?" Harry wondered.

"Well. No, I don't think so... not really," Hermione said awkwardly.

"What's that supposed to mean, not really?" Harry asked.